Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far can you move buttons to alter the girth of a suit jacket?

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
It really isn't ever a good thing to do on a single-breasted suit. On a double-breasted suit it can be done, which alters the wrap of the coat. You can take in the jacket a little bit that way, but you need to make sure the buttons aren't too close to the pockets. Wraps can vary a lot amongst double-breasted suits, so this can be adjusted a little before it starts to look off. Single-breasted suits look off even if you just move the buttons a little. Moving buttons will only adjust the front. Giving a double-breasted suit less wrap will accommodate a larger belly in front, but it does nothing for all around girth.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I should think . . .

. . . that moving buttons will throw the front of a coat off center. The button is moved, say, over to the right, and that moves the edge of the front panel over accordingly. You might get away with it if you also moved the inside button that secures the other side of the DB correspondingly. That would recenter the point at which the two lapels crossed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For double breast, are you saying per row 1/4 in total, i.e. 1/8 inch per button OR 1/4 inch per button OR 1/4 inch for one column of buttons?
you move the front edge of the coat 1/4 inch. then move the buttons to where the keyhole of the button hole is at.
As I look.. a 1/4 in is nothing and shows very, very little difference. You are in essence saying don't move buttons?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.