Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was putting together today's ensemble, it occured to me that I have two or three (out of about 30) ties that I keep coming back to over and over again. I don't think it's consious - it's just that they seem to go with everything! In particular, I have a burgandy w/ gold dots tie that I keep coming back to every week.

Any of you have similar experiences?

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I keep my tie rotation small because I know will favour a few ties over others; plus I match my ties with the suit colour. For example black ties for black suit, navy ties for navy suit and grey ties for grey suit.

Have you thought have having more ties in the same colour-group, e.g. burgandy.

I do notice that I return to certain shirts more often in my shirt rotation. I have enough for a 4-week work rotation, yet in that rotation may not wear a particular shirt but wear another shirt 3/4 times in the rotation. When I have to buy a new rotation, I would get more shirts in that colour or style.
It is the same with everything, I wear certain blazers, cashmere sweaters, sweaters, polos,t-shirts, casual trousers and shoes more often then others.

· Registered
294 Posts
I have a BB navy with white dots that I would wear every day if I didn't think about it. I'm planning on buying a second, just in case.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Yup - I think a navy tie is almost always going to work. Same with a grey.

I have a nice Church's (same as the shoe company - nice ties IMO) tie thats navy with tonal squares on it - just enough to give it some surface interest while still being viewed as plain navy.

I also have a charcoal and off-white hounds-tooth tie. The pattern is very small and the tie appears grey to the eye. It is very useful as well.

ToryBoy - I've seen you write about your small tie collection and the thinking behind it a few times before. I think that you raise a valid point... BUT I'd still urge you to expand the collection a bit. I have tons of ties - many of which I never wear. But its nice to have them there when the need for something different than the go-to (invariably) arises. Mixing up your ties is an easy and cheap way to keep things fresh. I buy almost all of my ties from places like Filene's Basement. You can get some pretty decent tie there for about $20 a pop. Not top quality at all, but a lot nicer than the Kenneth Cole type crap you'd pay twice as much for at Macy's.

· Registered
292 Posts
Funny that dotted ties seem to be the most versatile, but I have to agree; they work well with stripes, checks, solids, and other patters, without looking too busy or too plain. My two of choice are navy and burgundy, both with white dots.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
In particular, I have a burgandy w/ gold dots tie that I keep coming back to every week.

Any of you have similar experiences?
Same tie here, same experience.
I think they made the ultimate tie with that combo.
It isn't flamboyant, it isn't understated.
It isn't complex, it isn't dull.
And it oddly seems to go with EVERYTHING.

Even my failsafe wide rep stripe ties don't work as universally as that tie.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
ToryBoy - I've seen you write about your small tie collection. BUT I'd still urge you to expand the collection a bit. I have tons of ties - many of which I never wear. You can get some pretty decent tie there for about $20 a pop.
The main reason is the last time I had to wear a tie at work everyday was over a year ago. Now it is restricted to interviews, weddings, etc; so not that many times in a year.

If I had to wear a tie everyday, I would consider it.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I've got maybe 80 ties, and there are probably a dozen that I wear with regularity.

Several were bought to coordinate with particular sportcoats, but I try to have multiple options to go with each coat. When spring comes again, and I can wear my khaki poplin BB suit, I probably have a dozen suitable ties.

· Registered
184 Posts
Burgundy, definitely...

Mostly really complicated, many-colored, non-geometric prints, all with substantial amounts of burgundy. The burgundy works well with cordovan/burgundy shoes, belts, watch bands...

Next, ties in solid creme, silver, and light grey-brown. Our photographer used to work in Ralph Lauren's Beverly Hills store, and informs me that refined gentlemen do not wear silver ties (too goomba). So, of course, I wear them a lot. But olive oil is their nemesis, and they end up as polishing rags rather quickly.

Another fave is a Brioni geometric print, in lapis, black, red, and metallic gold. Black is the base, and that (plus the lapis) gives the gold an olive cast. The gold is finally wearing off at the edges. I'm tempted to have the spines of a couple of crumbling leather books from my great-great grandparents libraries replaced using silk from the tie. It has a very comforting Late Roman look.

Another question for the experts. Who is likely to have produced the Brioni print? Considering that their clientele are vulgarians like myself, am I correct in assuming they use actual gold?

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same tie here, same experience.
I think they made the ultimate tie with that combo.
It isn't flamboyant, it isn't understated.
It isn't complex, it isn't dull.
And it oddly seems to go with EVERYTHING.

Even my failsafe wide rep stripe ties don't work as universally as that tie.
Yours doesn't happen to be Brooks Brothers, does it? :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
184 Posts
"Who but a goomba is going to get olive oil on his tie?"

These days, just about anybody. Olive oil used to be foreign food. Now, it's a staple. But I'm a vegetarian, and only add oils after cooking (for health reasons), so I use more than most people. It's probably my main calorie source....about 1000ml of Olympia Xenia EV a month.

I think I'm being careful....shoveling in a few forkfulls of Kasha Varnishkes between meetings....gulps of Capellini con Broccoli while changing clothes....oughta know better...and those little droplets of oil are on a tie before you know it.

But honestly, what the OO doesn't ruin, the grapefruit spatters will...

· Registered
5,152 Posts
So buy a fairtrade, organic hemp napkin and cover yourself before eating.It is my observation, that; vegan, carnivore, omnivore, raw food, roadkill or caveman diet SLOWING down and chewing one's food leads to better digestion and cleaner ties.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.