Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I've learned more about how a suit should fit, I've been paying more attention to others' clothing, and I've discovered that almost none of their suits fit!

Isn't that strange? At an event I attended the other night, even a mayor was wearing an ill-fitting suit. The easiest thing to notice was their jacket sleeves came past their shirt cuffs, looking, to use a term I read elsewhere, "ape-like"; and overall, they just looked baggy.

Oddly, these are people who wear this clothing all the time. What do you all make of this apparent phenomena?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I can still remember when you would have the salesperson in the store measure you so he knew what size to offer you.
People used to buy a RTW suit and then either the store tailor or their own neighborhood tailor would make adjustments.
Most people now do not have this knowledge.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
What you say about ill fitting suits or sport coats is true ....

Most men buy their clothes at a department store or a store such as JAB. These retail establishments very seldom have a salesman or fitter who knows how to measure and fit a buyer. So you have two people with little or no knowledge trying to fit a buyer. This gets more complicated when the buyer's wife or SO enters the picture. The other day, I saw a man actually request that his jacket cuffs be lengthened to cover his shirt cuffs at the suggestion of his wife. The clerks at JAB and other stores go by the customer's request(s), and they will not potentially sacrifice a sale by making valid suggestions.

JAB isn't the only store that does this. My salesman at BB wouldn't make a suggestion which might possibly jeopordize a sale, and to top it off, while being a very nice guy, none of the suits or jackets I've seen him wear fit properly.

·
Site Creator
11,760 Posts
skeen:

Good observation. Fit is everything!

A perfect fit can make an inexpensive suit look like a Million! And a bad fit on an expensive suit can look awful!

I can still remember when you would have the salesperson in the store measure you so he knew what size to offer you.
People used to buy a RTW suit and then either the store tailor or their own neighborhood tailor would make adjustments.
Most people now do not have this knowledge.
And that is what this website is all about. David V - you should of handed that customer our URL ! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
At an event I attended the other night, even a mayor was wearing an ill-fitting suit.
By virtue of your location, if it was Boris, I completely agree. But then he's a special category...

I do agree with you and think it's a real pity! People could at least make the effort to have the back taken in a little and the sleeve adjusted as a first measure. All it takes is a reasonably good tailor after all...

But then, as you say, they don't know and the salepeople don't seem to either!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Say that I went to Men's Wearhouse and found a suit that I liked. However, to make it fit even better, I wanted the shoulders and waist of the jacket taken in. Are they equipped to fulfill such requests? Also, would the mere mention of these requests to a salesperson there make them look at me like I was from another planet or something?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Also- their perception of proper fit isn't yours.
Good point. I know a lot of people who hate showing any cuff and prefer their suits to fit more loosely than I would. While it doesn't look good to me, it does look good to them.

There is no absolute when it comes to style. It's all a matter of perspective. One person's wonderful outfit might be another person's disaster.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Up until the late 70s or early 80s every British town had a Burtons, John Collier and Hepworths store that offered affordable made- to- measure suits for virtually everyone. I bought my first MTM, a stone colored patch pocket affair in the style of the times from Burtons in 1968 at the age of 15 for ₤ 11.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have noticed this, as well. Even more troubling, is when the retail store staff has ill-fitting clothing. Now that I know how things should fit, I don't feel comfortable wearing things that don't fit as they should. In fact, I have retired items that don't fit me as they should. Too bad most folks don't do the same.

I don't get the whole jacket sleeves being too long....

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Part of your perception may be due to your location . . .

I think that, at the lower end of the suit spectrum, especially in the UK, that men buy suits from venues where custom fitting isn't available, and many do not bother to have their suits fitted properly.

In the US, it would be very unusual for a suit to come with trousers pre-cut to a specific length, whereas in the UK, this seems to be much more common practice, in my limited experience.

As Andy observed, proper fit can make a less expensive suit looks great, and lack of proper fitting can make a good suit look like a hand-me-down from a lumpy uncle.

Now I've learned more about how a suit should fit, I've been paying more attention to others' clothing, and I've discovered that almost none of their suits fit!

Isn't that strange? At an event I attended the other night, even a mayor was wearing an ill-fitting suit. The easiest thing to notice was their jacket sleeves came past their shirt cuffs, looking, to use a term I read elsewhere, "ape-like"; and overall, they just looked baggy.

Oddly, these are people who wear this clothing all the time. What do you all make of this apparent phenomena?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Up until the late 70s or early 80s every British town had a Burtons, John Collier and Hepworths store that offered affordable made- to- measure suits for virtually everyone. I bought my first MTM, a stone colored patch pocket affair in the style of the times from Burtons in 1968 at the age of 15 for ₤ 11.
I recently went to my local Burtons and they did have a MTM service. However, I have never heard any reviews from people who have used this service recently, or the projected cost, so I did not bother with it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
With the prevalance of casual, most men don't even know what size they wear or are wrong about their true size.

Case in point. I recently worked costumes for a local community theater. We did Agatha Christies The Mousetrap which is set in early 50's Britain. I handled all the men's clothing needs. I asked each man for his shirt neck size and sleave length, coat size, pant waist and inseam and shoe size. Of the four men 3 said they had a 36 inch waist. In actuality the 3 ranged from 40 to 44. None knew there neck or shirt sleave size other than large or extra large. The only size they really knew was there shoe size!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Say that I went to Men's Wearhouse and found a suit that I liked. However, to make it fit even better, I wanted the shoulders and waist of the jacket taken in. Are they equipped to fulfill such requests? Also, would the mere mention of these requests to a salesperson there make them look at me like I was from another planet or something?
No, shoulders are a nearly impossible alteration. They can take the waist in fairly easily.

·
Registered
816 Posts
As brokencycle said, almost everything on a coat can be altered (within reason) except for the shoulders. The shoulder fit should be the first thing you look at when trying on a coat.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Say that I went to Men's Wearhouse and found a suit that I liked. However, to make it fit even better, I wanted the shoulders and waist of the jacket taken in. Are they equipped to fulfill such requests?
Yes. But it will cost you.

Also, would the mere mention of these requests to a salesperson there make them look at me like I was from another planet or something?
No.

·
Registered
585 Posts
No, shoulders are a nearly impossible alteration. They can take the waist in fairly easily.
As brokencycle said, almost everything on a coat can be altered (within reason) except for the shoulders. The shoulder fit should be the first thing you look at when trying on a coat.
I've had the seam of the shoulders/sleeves "eased" out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.