Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted earlier asking about sizing in topcoats, then decided I didn't like the tan Hickey that I was looking at on eBay at the time, and STP has several cashmere topcoats right now. What are the feelings between black and navy for a topcoat? Black seems to be better with a tux, but I don't wear a tux enough to justify a separate topcoat. Is a black topcoat OK with a navy suit? Or is a navy topcoat OK with a tux? Or how about black heather?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had posted earlier asking about sizing in topcoats, then decided I didn't like the tan Hickey that I was looking at on eBay at the time, and STP has several cashmere topcoats right now. What are the feelings between black and navy for a topcoat? Black seems to be better with a tux, but I don't wear a tux enough to justify a separate topcoat. Is a black topcoat OK with a navy suit? Or is a navy topcoat OK with a tux? Or how about black heather?
Generally, a top coat is worn as an in-between coat in the Fall and Spring when it is too warm for an overcoat and too cool to wear just a suit.

Generally, topcoats are in cloths which are not used for overcoats, such as covert in green or taupe or a tan twill.

A black or navy cashmere coat would look too much like an overcoat. That would defeat the purpose of having a topcoat and having the look of a Fall garment.

I do not recommend navy or black. Too wintery.

Of course, if you wear black tie you would not wear a light brown topcoat with it. You need a black or formal topcoat.

Topcoats rarely make appearances on eBay and discounter, such as STP, because the topcoat is a rarity. If you can swing it, buy a Flight Coat MTM from Hickey Freeman.

Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appears that I've been using the wrong term. The cashmere coats on STP are listed as topcoats but are obviously overcoats, and I'm looking for an overcoat to wear on the coldest Charlotte days and the more common winter temps in DC. And I wear my tux in DC more than in Charlotte. But again, I probably won't buy a coat just for my tux. Charlotte is just too mild to own more than one or two overcoats, and I already have a very nice German loden coat.

While I might wear a black or blue overcoat with my tux, I wouldn't dream of wearing brown.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would get a black overcoat ....

I have a black cashmere overcoat which I wear with both a suit and a tuxedo. Generally, I only wear it in the evening. I have a trenchcoat I wear for warmer winter weather. I also have a very warm polo coat for colder weather. I wear the polo coat usually in the daytime. You can wear the black overcoat with a suit or with your tuxedo. I don't think a navy coat looks right with a tuxedo. In spite of the prejudice that some have about black in a suit or overcoat, I have never regretted my choice of black cashmere.

·
Registered
953 Posts
between (a) black and (b) navy, why not choose (c) charcoal (perhaps this is what you mean by "black heather"?)?

But to answer your questions directly: black overcoat with a navy suit is fine, navy overcoat with a tux is less good, but really, how much time do you spend at formal events with your overcoat on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.