Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week it was Woolworth's. Today, I'm reading about Waterford/Wedgewood filing for protection.
I am, to be honest lukewarm on their possible demise.
Every irish family feels honourbound to present a waterford ship's decanter for wedding presents. My brothers each have theirs, and not one amber drop has graced sunlight.
My grandmother had a tobey mug over the fireplace mantle that scared me off of reading Dickens until High School, smiling like some deviant in the night when i slept over bythte fire..

But, I do love my vintage Sadler brown betty. I really don't think a proper cuppa can be brewed without one, unless green tea in chinese or japanese earthenware.
And, I think I know why. My sadler proudly is stamped, underneath the crackled gazing MADE IN ENGLAND.
I do not mean to sound protectionist, but irish crystal made in the Czech republic, and a english teapot from Indonesia just don't do it for me, or, the british islands craftsmen who once made the stuff.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I understand how you feel. I regularly shop the Cash's web site for interesting new pieces. No matter how much one tries to pretend that an outsourced piece is just as good, there is really no way to substitute the feeling of satisfaction when one has the real thing.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
My everyday china is Wedgwood - the Queensware pattern called Edme. It was around for quite a long time, and I built a nice collection of it. There are still pieces I'd like to get, though.

They discontinued the original cream color and just brough it back out in white. But it's a thick, milky glaze and the laurel wreath molded around the edge looks crude and clunky. It looks like a college art student's attempt to create Edme from scratch.

Whenever I buy Waterford, whether for myself or as a gift, I always look for the Made in Ireland sticker. Like you can't tell otherwise. Their Christmas ornaments the last few years have been dreadful - molded crystal, polished to look like cut glass. Not Waterford quality at all.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I wonder how many companies go out of business because of greedy shortctus?

If most people don't have money to spend, then who is going to buy the products? If shipping jobs out, for lower wages, with no worth while jobs for those who lost a job, then who is getty rich? A short burst of money seems to decieve many at the top.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Waterford Wedgwood has been undergoing changes in the U.S. for a long time. They used to have retail locations that were all phased out leaving just their outlets, and there are fewer of them than there used to be. It is very difficult to find certain items like Jasperware without ordering it from their website or visiting one of the remaining outlets. Jasperware simply isn't available through other channels like department stores that carry other parts of the company's lines. A shame since it goes back more than two hundred years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.