Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
A good read, for sure, but it left me longing for cooler weather so that I might scratch the itch that reading the article in question incites! :( In any event thanks for the link.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
FWIW I wonder whether the origin of the name "tweed" is not that the fabric originally came from the Tweed valley but that the river Tweed played a role in its transport.
No, I don't think so. It is navigable for no more than six miles upstream of Berwick. Its gravel banks and shallowness are one reason for its reputation for good salmon fishing.

There has long been a weaving industry in the Tweed valley however, but well served by railways since the second half of the 19th century.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is something very calming and gratifying about wearing an old, well-made tweed jacket. I have one that I inherited from my father-in-law that he bought in the 80's. It is a heavy weight, earthy brown color. It is about one size too large, but I had the sleeves altered and left the rest alone. I wear it around the house in the evening with my 4-wale cords.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.