1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Thanks for the link! I prefer a dull shine to my shoes, but I may just try this on my black wholecuts sometime.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had my black Ferragamos shined at the Union Station in DC, and he did a classic spit shine: about 5 or 6 layers of polish, each vigorously rubbed in until it shined, interspersed with misting, followed by buffing. He took about 15 or 20 minutes. When he was done, they looked like patent leather. I gave him a really good tip, but I have to admit they were so shiny that I felt a bit self-conscious about them as I left.

In retrospect, I think I'm with Jovan - there's a practical limit to how shiny I want my shoes to be.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
We were told shoes had to reflect two fingers at inspection. This kid from New York promptly took his new ZIPPO with the CG insigniaon it ( scuttlebut has it he later had it engraved " from a greatfull crew, thankyou for rescuing us" after getting a shore billet)
and held it under his brand new dress shoes with so much polish plastered on it looked like La Brea los Angeles on a noon summer day.
WOOSH!! Shoes caught fire, melting wax fell on his skivvy clad privates and he wound up in the infirmary and recycling into another company 3 weeks later.
Mirror shined shoes give me the creeps ever since, like a car salesman in madras named 'fair deal Johnny' or something.'

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Having gone through basic training and spending 27 years of my life wearing a military uniform and learning how "to get that mirror shine to my shoes," where was this great advice, when I could have benefited from it! Darn, I could have followed a whole different career path in life? ;)
We used Pledge floor wax and generally got away with it...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
When I was in ROTC, another kid in my dorm tried to teach me how to get a "spit shine" without actually using spit. It was pretty much the same drill as the link, but I must admit that I was never that great at it.

Nowadays, I would not want a "mirror shine" unless it came with the shoe (patent leather). As a side note, Junior ROTC cadets wear patent leather shoes on parade. Seems to be missing the point, somehow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the link! I prefer a dull shine to my shoes, but I may just try this on my black wholecuts sometime.
As do I now. It is far more subdued. I just polish and clean when needed for protection and care.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Memories of Basic at Fort Jackson. I learned later to use neutral polish as the finishing layer. It added depth to the black.
I currently like to spit shine my formal shoes I wear with my tuxedo. It is far more satisfying than patent leather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.