Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to contact Michael Fish of Mr. Fish, which was a clothing company he owned and started in the late 60s to the mid 70s. Michael had a store on Clifford St in London at that particular time. I wanted to contact Michael because I am writing a book on Boutiques and designers of that time and would like to find out more information on his store and his collections. Any help to his whereabouts would be extremely helpful! I heard about a year or two ago he suffered a stroke and may live in Battersea or that he once even lived in the States (?)....
Anyone who might lend a hand, please contact me. Thank you in advance for you help!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
There may be some information about him on the V&A website (Victoria & Albert Museum) www.vam.ac.uk; in the past, they have had some of his clothing on display.

If you do any search on UK search engines, you will probably find a lot of about the former BBC weatherman entries Michael Fish and the infamous 'Great Storm of 87'

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ToryBoy,

I have seen that on the V&A on Mr. Fish and am quite aware of the Michael Fish, who is/was a weather man in the U.K. It did put quite a comical spin on things but unfortunately that isn't the person I am looking for.
Thanks for your reply. I am working on trying to get images, ephemera, people who might have even worked at the store. All the best!

·
Site Creator
11,746 Posts
I could not find a contact for Michael Fish, but maybe someone on this Forum will be able to help.

Here's what I have about him in The Encyclopedia:
British men swear designer Michael Fish launched a brightly colored and patterned, wide tie, known as the "kipper" in 1965. The front apron was 5 to 6 inches wide.
And here's the Wikipedia info on him (and not the weatherman):

)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Disco will never die

I am sure you are familiar with the chapter 'Michael Fish and After' in Nik Cohen's Today there are no Gentlemen, but as that was published in 1971 it is not much help in answering your question.

All I can add is that I am sure Fish was involved in running the Embassy Club in Old Bond Street. But that would be in around 1979-80 when I knew about such things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks culverwood and Trimmer; I am familiar with both of those items you mentioned. In addition, I do also have a great article about Michael's store from The Daily Telegraph (UK published magazine) which shows the inside of his store along with Rupert Lyceum-Green's store, Blades. Oddly enough, Blades also had a store here in New York in the 70s on Madison Ave.

I will try contacting The Embassy Club. Michael's use of fabrics and tailoring are truly unique and inspiring for anyone not to take more notice of. '

Among the items I see often are his ties...
Anyone else coming along for this ride of contacting Michael Fish with me?

Also, looking for Malcolm Hall and David Worsell-two fabulous English designers from the early 70s.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Doing your own thing

I am not sure if the current Embassy Club in Old Burlington Street (?) has any connection with the old one but it might be worth a try. There appears to be a certain amount about the old club on the net.

Have you (seen) a copy of MF's Doing your own thing mentioned here: https://dellamoda.it/fashion_dictionary/m/mr_fish.php ? I cannot find it in the British Library catalogue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

I have not seen that passage; thank you for sharing that with me. It does list all the basic knowledge I have of Mr. Fish but insightful nevertheless.

I have found some information on the Embassy Club, nothing though that would put me into contact with anyone who might have worked there. Will continue to do my research.

Paul Gorman, has written about Michael Fish in his book The Look. He is a wonderful author and an inspiration for my work.

I am also trying to find out of stores here in the States carried Mr. Fish clothing. Many buyers from the States would cross the pond and make shopping trips to the London Boutiques. Haven't found anyone yet who mentioned to me that they've bought clothing from Mr. Fish to carry in their Boutique.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AUCTION

Hi there
Came across an auction listing from early this month for a spectacular outfit by him listed as "from the Personal collection of Mr Fish". Suggests if nothing else that he is still with us, somewhere...
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5985279

Interestingly Mr Fish premises at 17 Clifford Street has had an association with fashion labels (off the top of the head) since the early 90s to:

Katharine Hamnett
Squire (label founded by Kilgour's Carlo Brandelli)
Nicole Farhi Home

Im sure locals can fill in the gaps between Mr Fish's day and Ms Hamnett's. Any takers? Always thought that address had something interesting about it. The back office/showroom used to have a weird tiny gallery/walkway all the way round it. Which might be explained by whoever can find its original purpose.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I do remember our original brief discussion about Mr. Fish, linked to by culverwood.

I do remember the Squire shop.

I also thought i remembered a photo of Mr. Fish fitting Sean Connery for a shirt in the Dressed to Kill book, but i checked this morning and i couldn't find it...

Leon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I was aware of that auction, which was run my Kerry Taylor auctions. It is a beautiful ensemble, wonderfully crafted. Very interesting choice of textiles as well. Judging from the wording of that auction and after contacting them directly, they let me know Michael Fish is around. I've heard that he was in Battersea as well.
I'm not sure if they are dealing with him directly, but, regardless, I'd like to talk to anyone associated with the store, who worked, there, ran the merchandise, the tailors, etc.

Also, as i mentioned earlier, if anyone also knows of anyone who worked at Alkasura (John Lloyd (passed away)/Paul Reeves (antiques dealer)), Malcolm Hall and David Worsell, any information on these designers would also be super helpful.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr. Fish combo

Wow, this is an elite group. I am the original owner if a Mr. Fish tortoise-shell voile shirt (olive and gold) and matching silk tie (reds, green and beige), purchased from his store in 1966. The shirt is mint, the tie very good+. They are a knockout pair, and are for sale. I would be happy to send photos to interested collectors, and to fans for comment.

Kind regards,
vintage50

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great! I live in the U.S. but will somehow find a way to tape it!
Anyone remember a designer based out od Islingto named Malcolm Hall?
Hi!

I don't know if your interest in Mr Fish continues, but I have a little information for you.

I worked for Michael Fish's brother, Nils Fish, in Leeds in 1967. The two were very close, and Nils would often drive down to Michaels home in Hertfordshire for weekends, and even sometimes for a visit during the week. Nils was a businessman, and a financial analyst.

Both were fairly observant Jews, probably more in the family, tribal way, than the heavily religious way. (Nils once asked his secretary to get him a sandwich, any kind, but not to tell him if it was bacon). I would not be surprised to find that they have settled in Israel.

A later posting in here says that Michael has been heard commenting on radio in the USA

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.