Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my A-E Park Aves fitted with them today (I normally use the plastic ones from Walgreens),and so far have had five people stop me to complain about the sound they made.Being a gentleman on all five occasions,I just politely said pardon me and kept walking (I wanted to say mind your own d---n buisness,but I restrained myself).Has anyone else ever had people complain about their wearing metal toe taps?I personally think it's a bit rude.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I just got my A-E Park Aves fitted with them today (I normally use the plastic ones from Walgreens),and so far have had five people stop me to complain about the sound they made.Being a gentleman on all five occasions,I just politely said pardon me and kept walking (I wanted to say mind your own d---n buisness,but I restrained myself).Has anyone else ever had people complain about their wearing metal toe taps?I personally think it's a bit rude.
If you bare a low paid thespian then I suspect that it might be acceptable, otherwise it can be considered a dreadful noise intrusion/affectation/ plain unnecessary.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
There are companies still manufacturing hobnails if you really want to get people's attention.
I had metal taps on my parade shoes as part of President Ford's west coast support detail.
I was walking on one of the famous hillside avenues of San Francisco when the rain came down. Within seconds I was sliding down out of control until I grabbed a SF Chronicle stand. I pulled my shoes off, walked in my wet stockings to the nearest cobbler and had them pulled.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are companies still manufacturing hobnails if you really want to get people's attention.
I had metal taps on my parade shoes as part of President Ford's west coast support detail.
I was walking on one of the famous hillside avenues of San Francisco when the rain came down. Within seconds I was sliding down out of control until I grabbed a SF Chronicle stand. I pulled my shoes off, walked in my wet stockings to the nearest cobbler and had them pulled.
Kav,you've had quite a life!Back to the toe taps,I need them because I seem to wear my soles down at the toe more so than others (I have worn toes down before heels).I haven't had any slippage as of yet,knock on wood.And maybe I will try hobnails just to tick people off.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
So why don't you go back to the plastic toe taps? Sounds like you enjoy the negative attention? Where do you live, by the way, Frownistan? I could never imagine a situation in which one, let along 5 people would make a point to complain about my shoes. I think you are trolling.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So why don't you go back to the plastic toe taps? Sounds like you enjoy the negative attention? Where do you live, by the way, Frownistan? I could never imagine a situation in which one, let along 5 people would make a point to complain about my shoes. I think you are trolling.
I do not appreciate that accusation!Having said that,I should have mentioned that these were at seperate occasions;one in a drug store,one in a restaurant,two at the grocery store,and one from a friend of mine.And I do not enjoy the negative comments,and why would you even assume that?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
One would expect a tarheel to step heel first.
But you must have a serious toe first step and possible Shawnee ancestry.
Range cowboys wore their spurs almost constantly. Aside from the ever present need to mount up at a moments notice, it became a courtesy.
A man walking about with his rowels and perhaps a pair of jingle bobs singing wasn't somebody sneaking up with bad motives, nor somebody with toe taps.
Considering the various bodily noises I hear people make; clacking dentures,stainless steel hips and knees, electronic devises, kids: It seems a set of taps rhythmic cadence is a nice break from the common.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One would expect a tarheel to step heel first.
But you must have a serious toe first step and possible Shawnee ancestry.
Range cowboys wore their spurs almost constantly. Aside from the ever present need to mount up at a moments notice, it became a courtesy.
A man walking about with his rowels and perhaps a pair of jingle bobs singing wasn't somebody sneaking up with bad motives, nor somebody with toe taps.
Considering the various bodily noises I hear people make; clacking dentures,stainless steel hips and knees, electronic devises, kids: It seems a set of taps rhythmic cadence is a nice break from the common.
I'm of Northern European decent,and a toe walker.My doctor has said there isn't anything wrong with me,just that I walk on my toes out of habit.He said to come back in a year if I can't train myself to walk normally (I'm doing pretty well so far).

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Walking toe to heel vs heel to toe is no more abnormal than attached vs detached earlobes.
I say keep the iron taps.
It is ecologicaly unsound to replace perfectly functional taps with peterochemical rubber ones. Tell the complainers you're helping to save the rainforest.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Walking toe to heel vs heel to toe is no more abnormal than attached vs detached earlobes.
I say keep the iron taps.
It is ecologicaly unsound to replace perfectly functional taps with peterochemical rubber ones. Tell the complainers you're helping to save the rainforest.
Good point.I'm still determined to break my habit though,I hear toe walking causes problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I do not appreciate that accusation!Having said that,I should have mentioned that these were at seperate occasions;one in a drug store,one in a restaurant,two at the grocery store,and one from a friend of mine.And I do not enjoy the negative comments,and why would you even assume that?
Maybe because I did not take your OP seriously.. I mean, where do you live where people walk up to you and complain about the noise your shoes make?

Good luck with the plastic taps..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Will's bespoke Fosters semi-brogue and Manton's G&G spectators both had toe caps...so I gambled on my G&G Wigmore and love it

Now I've having all my future MTO orders with the toe cap and will retrofit them on my other 2 dress shoes

Kav, place a Weather widget on your computer before you go outside in the rain again...thus you can spare yourself from slipping in the rain and having to lower yourself to going anywhere near a piece of garbage newspaper like the San Francisco chronicle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.