Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're Baaack!

Members Only Bomber jackets are coming back, with a slimmer, edgier fit. They look virtually the same as the originals.

Received an e-mail from "Mr. A" that a look-alike is available from Norm Thompson. Might be better construction - and at a better price.

https://tinyurl.com/bnsf25

This is my first post. Hope it's useful.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum, howkriv! Regarding Members Only jackets, with a couple of Baracuta jackets hanging in the closet (khaki and British khaki and still need to pick up a navy jacket!), I'm inclined to agree with pt4u67...Indeed, Baracuta's are the real deal. On the other hand, I did not care for Members Only jackets, when became popular the first time around...I think it's that useless, anorexic epaulet that's incorporated in the design(?)! However, to each their own.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It drives me nuts to see stuff like that brought back to be worn "ironically" by today's cool youth. The cheesier the item, the more likely it is to be brought back, i.e. trucker hats, polyester track suits with big garish stripes and flared, too-long pants.

·
Site Creator
13,181 Posts
Some history:

Members Only is a brand of clothing that became popular in the 1980s for the "Members Only Jacket". The brand was created in 1975 and introduced to American markets in 1979 by Europe Craft Imports (later acquired in 1987 by the Marcade Group). Members Only was renowned for their brand of jackets, which was first introduced in 1981 and manufactured in a wide variety of colors.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I was completely oblivious to the Members Only phenomenon until they were all over the place and I had no idea where they came from. They never struck me as anything but an ordinary jacket with a label on it.

(For that matter, I would say the same thing about the Barracuta, except that it does seem to have being grossly overpriced going for it.)

Does anyone have any theories for why they became so popular?

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
They're Baaack!

Members Only Bomber jackets are coming back, with a slimmer, edgier fit. They look virtually the same as the originals.

Received an e-mail from "Mr. A" that a look-alike is available from Norm Thompson. Might be better construction - and at a better price.

https://tinyurl.com/bnsf25

This is my first post. Hope it's useful.
Ahhh, the endless tasteful inovation of contemporary American RTW! :pic12337:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I thought all the members died off years ago. They must be recruiting for new chapters.

Ugly jacket then. Ugly jacket now.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
It drives me nuts to see stuff like that brought back to be worn "ironically" by today's cool youth. The cheesier the item, the more likely it is to be brought back, i.e. trucker hats, polyester track suits with big garish stripes and flared, too-long pants.
By that logic, I assume the fact that young hipsters never embraced Earth Shoes proves that those were simply some of the ugliest, charm-free hoof covers ever known to mankind.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was completely oblivious to the Members Only phenomenon until they were all over the place and I had no idea where they came from. They never struck me as anything but an ordinary jacket with a label on it.

(For that matter, I would say the same thing about the Barracuta, except that it does seem to have being grossly overpriced going for it.)

Does anyone have any theories for why they became so popular?
Well as far as the Baracuta G9 goes, it helps when you have the likes of Steve McQueen and Elvis wearing them. I just got one and love it. The G9 is a classic jacket and well worth the price. Which, by the way, is much cheaper from the company's website than anywhere I have seen here in the States.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Norm Thompson's version, under maximum magnification, revealed that the black pocket label says "COTTON TRADERS." Looks like a potential copyright infringement, unless the time has tolled on that. Maybe that's why they are being revived, because the copyright on the original has expired.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.