Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Illinois (Chicago specifically) politics and politicians are well known for being corrupt (what politician isn't?). As Relayer said, just because something is commonplace in the corrupt Illinois political system doesn't make it praiseworthy or good for the rest of the country.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Post-debate, the Obama campaign had his VP answering questions. Gov. Palin was nowhere to be found. I can only imagine what the McCain camp is doing to try and prepare her for next week.
Perhaps they can borrow George W. Bush's "transmitter backpack" and earpiece he wore in his debates so someone can read lines for her. The whole setup is probably even smaller now, with four years to work on the technology involved.

· Registered
148 Posts
You've spun that tale already. Nobody bought it then, either. Illinois senators often duck votes to avoid making inconvenient commitments that might make them look bad in the future or anger some of their support. We get it. Not good, even if it is common practice in Illinois.
A number of people agree that the way that it is being presented is not factually correct. You may choose to believe otherwise but you are incorrect.

· Registered
148 Posts
Illinois (Chicago specifically) politics and politicians are well known for being corrupt (what politician isn't?). As Relayer said, just because something is commonplace in the corrupt Illinois political system doesn't make it praiseworthy or good for the rest of the country.
I have noticed that a number of states seem to have the corruption bug at the state level. The last Illinois Governor (George Ryan - Republican) is in jail. We've had a number of Governors serve that managed to avoid the pokey :icon_smile:.

I also think it is a stretch to paint the whole state of Illinois as politically corrupt. Nor has Iowa escaped from having a reputation of a certain level of corruption. Like I've said, members of both parties vote "present" in the Illinois Senate and there are a number of totally legitimate reasons to do so. You may disagree but it's the system we have here so if you want to change it please move to the wonderful state of Illinois and make your voice heard.

· Registered
148 Posts
Sounds like he gave an honest answer but as we all know things can change quickly in life.

He hit the ground running and frankly has done a much better job than the two previous Senators who held that seat (Peter Fitzgerald and Carol Mosley Braun). If anything he suffers from being a bit too humble about himself or he's just being quite polite. He's one of the most intelligent politicians I've come across and can speak about a large amount of topics at the drop of a hat.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.