Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outerwear Bag Azure Textile Sleeve

So help me out here. What's this made of...

Font Ticket Receipt Number Rectangle

My guess is wool, silk and linen. The summer trifecta. (How do they do that, put shavings in a boiling pot and stir?) I need this jacket for the upcoming long kinda hot summer. It looks like this...

Outerwear Tartan Dress shirt Textile Coat

...and will look better if I can get my hands on it, give it some shape. It's a 42 short. Which is 4 sizes too big in the chest, 2 sizes too big in the hips. So what, I can handle that. That's why they make chain saws.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Magenta

That little red sold sticker at the bottom, that means it will be winging it's way to the pines shortly, a bonus, it can fly.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm impressed, Peaks. You can alter the jacket with four sizes in the chest and two in the hips? That is amazing unless you are a tailor by profession.
Hardly.
I am a fairly well dressed ne'er do well, just a pine woods dirtroadier (because you need a boulevard to be a boulevardier and I'm doing the best with what's available.)

For decades I have rebuilt out of necessity any jacket I wanted to wear. Years ago I took a tumble from a fairly good height that left parts of me twisted up, so I figured out how to make normal clothes fit an abnormal body and it was a short hike to making completely unecessary custom modifications simply because I could. Not having the Haspel yet in hand I have little idea what will happen, except from the pics I know I will reset the lapels narrower and add a third button to the front, a personal preference for any jacket I have, and that third button will be used; I do not like deep jacket cleavage. Except for the cloth I am not particularly enamored of the jacket as the seller has posted it so pass the scissors please.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my silk/linen fabric in the mail. This is always the most exciting part of any custom project for me, a roll of fabric revs up my imagination.

The end result is usually never as fun as what our heads can cook up.

Very nice.
Now put some shoes on.
What are you standing on, a Golden Retriever?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
0r are you too an amateur tailor?
Not too fond of the phrasing.
The guy who works on my truck, can fix anything you bring him, which would be fully formed vehicles gone amiss. I do not think if him as an amtateur even though I doubt he knows how to build a truck from scratch or has any interest in doing so. Which would be me as pertains to clothing.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations, my friend. That's one more step in the right direction. I hope it gets to you safely.
I have been lucky in that regard. My mail person is a woman and I ply her with whiskey on a regular basis so not only is my stuff placed neatly in my giant rural mail box, but she often places other folks' packages there as a kind of thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Haspel summer jacket, the item that prompted this thread, this...
Outerwear Dress shirt Tartan Coat Sleeve

...has arrived. Yay.
I made an unboxing video, not like the shoe ones Flanderian is fond of posting where we're supposed to believe the shoe guy hasn't really peeked prior to turning on the camera and I'm waiting for the day when one of those guys with his little, tiny, wispy voice opens the box and a pair of dusty Buster Browns falls out along with a scorpion that bites him. Anyway, my video was to be more of an unbagging, USPS Priority that got here Saturday and it was highly entertaining ("I've a nurse standing by.to check my blood pressure and a lobsterman ready to pour a frothy Molsen on me in case I faint"), but it will never see the light of day since my attempt to post it, my first, completely f**ked up my cell phone, the only access I have to Internet Earth, which I had to eventually wipe clean and reset, losing the video and a lotta other stuff, like my Pinterest links to blue haired ladies playing piquet (they're just so damn cute).

So, back to plain pics and text. (Although I would appreciate it if someone would step forth and tell me how to successfully post a video here, one of their own making, not a You Tube job, so's I'll be ready to video the unboxing of the '58 Fleetwood I dreamed I ordered last night. O the fins.)

Measurements were not offered by the seller, only a picture of the size 42S tag, so I knew the shoulders would probably not be too narrow, my biggest concern since widening a shoulder is completely impossible, while other sizing problems can usually be dealt with.

Turns out shoulder width js precisely as wanted, 19 inches. Quite square though. I may de-pad the right while readjusting the left, the low one, with a slight prosthetic.

I've placed it carefully on the shoulders of Azazel, my mannequin lucifer or lucifer mannequin, which you can see below, if you don't mind the smell of sulphur.
Outerwear Shirt Shoulder Tartan Dress shirt

I will add a third button to the front, where if you squint you can see I've placed a pin. I will switch to light colored buttons, and donate these to the humane society for use as hamster frisbees. Probably add a flap to the breast pocket. The hip is about right, but with unwanted billowing below and girthy above. A take-in at the sides is required and excess in the chest will be solved two-fold; deeping the darts and adding breast padding. Left sleeve to go north by a half inch. I want to get this ready in time for my Bar Mitzvah, which is already 64 years late, and then there's that problem of me not being Jewish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great new film version of Macbeth out, by the way, and it's directed by one of the Coen brothers.
The Denzel Washington thing? The following remark is not racist, but it is racial: I don't think a black guy should be playing the King of Scotland.

Back in 2007, one September night on the porch I was reading Macbeth for the umpteenth time, and went on the internet (I had dial-up then) to check out a phrase or two and AAAC pops up for no apparent reason, thought it interesting so I signed up using the phrase I was researching. That was 6,033 posts ago.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The aim of acting is to play, and to play at or as someone you are not. I get that part. But let's not push it. I am not keen on seeing American actors portray Shakespeare, let alone black ones. Washington is a fine actor whom I've admired in many roles. If he wants to play doomed nobility, he can try his hand at O'Neil's Emperor Jones.

You have broadened a very specific remark into to a wide range of even more specific examples, many of which I'm familiar and would agree with you. But I wasn't taking about them. I was talking about Denzel Washington playing Macbeth. Blah to that, go home, Denzel.

This is the May purchases thread and we are both to blame for derailing it. You tossed out bait you didn't know was bait, forgiven, and I took it. Forgive me.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Way off the subject here...
You got that right.
Would you rather a lesser actor get the role merely because he was white?
No, why would you even suggest that? A false dichotomy. Meryl Streep I believe is the finest actress that ever lived. I don't want her playing Macbeth either. There are a s*** load of white, male actors who could do Macbeth beautifully. My preference would be someone with roots in the UK. Such as a certain actor, whom I don't particularly like, but only because he's strongly associated with a character whom I really don't like, and besides he's dead, but a fine actor AND Scotish, Sean Connery.

Macbeth, the play, carries heavy meaning for me. Many passages have I memorized, shouting them as loud as I could alone in the woods, not because I am a wannabe actor, but I believe in working on projection and elocution throughout life. I have a strong voice and wish to keep it as I age. I am 77. I first read Macbeth at 27. Fifty years it's been with me. My name here at AAAC is a phrase uttered by the Third Witch. Peak, Shakespeare uses for peak'ED, as in pallor, Pine as in melancholy, to pine. I associate that phrase with personality, mine, off net.

Denzel, you're a fine man whom I don't even think of as a 'Black' actor. Until now. Go home, Denz, find something else. Now everybody, leave me alone about this.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
...you can't make statements such as these (basically saying that you can't look beyond the man's skin color in his portrayal of MacBeth) and not expect some disagreements to be expressed.
I think that you think I may be attempting to persuade others that my view on this is the correct one. Not at all. It's just my view and has no effect on anything or anybody outside of my own head.

It may surprise you, given all that I said in the post to which you are responding, that I have never seen a production of Macbeth. I have only read it, countless times. And I have recordings of both Charles Laughton and Richard Burton doing passages from it. I have recordings of myself doing passages from it. But visually the character exists only as I have imagined him. And that imagining does not include a Black guy.

My view may seem to you unsophisticated, provincial, not very woke, maybe even racist. Think what you may, but I am the one most familiar with my own thinking and while I am open to it being tweaked by others, else how could I have lived this long, on this very narrow topic I've voluntarily set myself in cement.

Please don't take this as ornery or angry. I value your contributions to the site. You're in San Jose, in the early 70s I worked there for a couple of days on a crew sodding lawns, looking for wending money, that would be gasoline, so I could wend my way back to Maine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts