Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I wonder if i could ask your opinions on this shirt and tie combination. I'm not really asking whether people like it in terms of their personal taste, i just wanted opinions on whether you think they "go" together.

I love it and will wear it anyway, I was just curious as to the opinions of such sartorially aware folk as yourselves.

I also wondered whether adding a pocket square (in plain hot pink probably) would be too much?

To add some context it is definitely not intended for business wear!

Many thanks in advance.

PS I don't know why the second picture is so massive, i'm a complete technoidiot and it's taken me hours to work out how to even get pictures to display!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Working?

I think not. Certainly not as a conservative suit. The coat helps a lot. But the shirt and tie are both fairly bold. The tie knot is also huge--particularly when compared with your frame.

Maybe a solid shirt with that tie and suit.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
To be honest with you neither the shirt nor the tie is my cup of tea, separately or together. But then again I'm quite conservative these days and probably don't represent your target audience.

Having said that, the shirt appears orange to me and the tie appears pink, although it could just be my crappy monitor. It does some odd things to colors at times; however, if it isn't just my monitor, the shades of orange and pink as I see them are clashing.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you own a shirt like that, and you own a tie like that, and you have the desire to wear them, I somehow doubt any opinion on matching is of importance to you.

In my opinion, they clash because they are both busy and competing on a level of intensity. The red of the tie combats and competes with the pink/purple of the tie. The grey of the shirt combats the grey of the suit. You took three pieces and made them into two: jacket/shirt and shirt/tie. It would be best to pull them apart so you have a jacket, shirt and tie, each contrasting color/intensity and pattern, but hopefully small touches in the tie and maybe shirt which match other items. You have to tone down the projected intensity of this combination a little, because it tends to look like you should be hawking cheap silverware or barking for the carnival... unless that's what you are doing.

If you came to me while wearing that and selling ANYTHING--wares, paper, or yourself--I would not buy, and I would get far, far away as fast as possible.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The tie appears to have no matching colours that work with that shirt and whilst the shirt looks ok I am not sure of the tie. I am partial to bright shirt tie combos but this IMO misses the mark but you are on the right track in being brave and giving it a go!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Afternoon all,

I wonder if i could ask your opinions on this shirt and tie combination. I'm not really asking whether people like it in terms of their personal taste, i just wanted opinions on whether you think they "go" together.

I love it and will wear it anyway, I was just curious as to the opinions of such sartorially aware folk as yourselves.

I also wondered whether adding a pocket square (in plain hot pink probably) would be too much?

To add some context it is definitely not intended for business wear!

Many thanks in advance.

PS I don't know why the second picture is so massive, i'm a complete technoidiot and it's taken me hours to work out how to even get pictures to display!

I think a solid tie in one of the colors of the stripe would help tone it down a bit. Either the pink or the orange. Also a deep charcoal suit would probably help as the grey suit you have on is a bit light.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Nice jacket. I wouldn't wear it with either the tie or the shirt you have on, and I wouldn't put the shirt and tie together for the reasons clearly set forth by others.

I would say that you could wear either the shirt or the tie with something darker and less intense. For instance, the tie might look better with a white shirt and charcoal suit. The shirt is tougher, but I would try throwing on a navy blazer and seeing how that goes.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Sorry, I really don't like the shirt with a tie, although by itself, it would be a nice casual shirt. The tie does not seem to pick up any colors from the shirt and the shirt may have too many colors to look good with any tie.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The shirt and tie seem to compete on the level of scale and, as has already been mentioned, intensity. They both have big patterns, along with being very bold in color. The shirt (which I do like) should be matched with a solid or small-patterned tie, IMO, and the tie (which I'm not so sure about) with probably a solid-colored shirt.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Another Brit chiming in now to give you some support

From the perspective of what I'm seeing around me in the office and on the street in Sweden that tie/shirt combo is not unusual. And personally from my own British/London perpsective I think it could work, and if I owned them I could see myself wearing them together.

However not with a grey suit. A navy or black suit perhaps but definitely not that light grey, not only does that not work it just doesn't look good, it just looks wrong. Try a dark jacket.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I would wear it...the op also didn't really want advise, as he said he's wearing it and likes it anyway.

I think its nice, bold and different...kudos man.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If I am not mistaken thats a Duchamp shirt and tie combo. I love the shirt but I am not sure that tie goes with anything on earth, nice as it is. Go to the Duchamp website and see what else they have available to pair with that shirt.

The overall look is almost right, I know what you are going for here, I just think there is a better Duchamp tie that will get you there.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Sorry, I have to agree with others saying it is too loud. At least use a smaller tie knot and wear a light coloured shirt. It looks HUGE in comparison to those lapels, which is not a good look.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know you didn't ask for opinions as to the items, but these look like the Paul Smith / Duchamp style stuff from a few years ago. That being said, if you like it, you are doing the right thing by combining large (shirt) and small (tie) patterns. The conservative jacket tones it down nicely, and overall the patterns work ok if you like the look. However, the colors don't work. Your tie needs to have some of the same colors as your shirt so they compliment each other. As is, there are too many colors going on and they don't work together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.