Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not I apologize.

A friend of ours has just opened an electronics shop near our home. Among all the rest, he sells and installs Bose Home Theater Systems. I know nothing about these sorts of things.

He wants to sell us a Bose system with installation into our living room walls. The system is made up of 5 speakers, a base, an AV receiver and a DVD player. Total price is about 7,350 U.S. dollars. I'm not sure but this sounds like a lot.

To come to my question: is Bose a well respected maker of this type of entertainment system? They're not well known over here.

Thanks all in advance.

noble

· Registered
1,281 Posts
If not I apologize.

A friend of ours has just opened an electronics shop near our home. Among all the rest, he sells and installs Bose Home Theater Systems. I know nothing about these sorts of things.

He wants to sell us a Bose system with installation into our living room walls. The system is made up of 5 speakers, a base, an AV receiver and a DVD player. Total price is about 7,350 U.S. dollars. I'm not sure but this sounds like a lot.

To come to my question: is Bose a well respected maker of this type of entertainment system? They're not well known over here.

Thanks all in advance.

noble
Bose makes an outstanding sound system and is one of the top brands for speakers.

· Registered
915 Posts
Some Bose equipment is OK, but it's *ridiculously* overpriced for what you get. $7.5K for a 5.1 audio setup is pretty expensive - for that much you could do a really excellent Denon, Onkyo, B&K, Rotel or Yamaha receiver and DVD player, with a very good speaker package from Atlantic Technologies or NHT.

I suggest finding a home theater specialty store that carries a few other brands of speakers, and listening to a bunch of them before committing to Bose. I think you'll find you can do at least as good, and probably a lot better, for quite a bit less money.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
Agree with jbmcb. I have owned Bose (901s) years ago.

Among audiophiles there are many many Bose detractors. Personally, I would not buy any part of a Bose system, either electronics or speakers.

However, depending on your installation/space requirements, they may be a good option. If you have some flexibility in that regard, there are many much better options.

· Registered
100 Posts
I'm seriously into Audio, and have a marketing client that is an upper end Home Theater dealer.

No serious home theater installer deals in Bose. There are many options that sound as good for far less money, and there are many better sounding systems for what you pay for Bose. If you're serious about getting a Home Theater done, start subscribing to a magazine like "Home Theater" and read it for a few months. You'll learn a lot from the articles, the letters to the editor, and even the ads. Set a budget and consider the options for what that money buys.

Then again, the system he's offering to install might be perfect for you if (1) the money doesn't matter much to you, (2) you don't have much of a point of reference for what a great system sounds like, or (3) inobtrusive speakers at the expense of performance is important.

[email protected]

· Registered
6 Posts
When it comes to home audio, there are much better ways to spend your money than Bose. There are many midrange systems out there that are superior at half the price, whereas Bose relies almost exclusively on brand recognition as its primary selling point. If you have the time and patience to put together a system piece by piece, you could spend less than the price of a Bose and have a fantastic system. Not trying to brand bash I just think there are better options out there.

mike

· Registered
1,415 Posts
Bose makes an outstanding sound system and is one of the top brands for speakers.
Bose makes a decent consumer-grade audio system, meaning that it is of average quality.

Compared to the world of 'real' speakers, Bose is an inferior product. What they do nicely is to create pretty decent soundscapes (if not dynamic range) from small packages. However, what they charge for that is obscene.

For $7,000 you can do much better in terms of overlal sound quality, assuming you're talking just the basics: Integrated amp, DVD player and 5.1 surround speakers.

Find an audio specialty store, find a set of natched apeakers you like along with components and cabling that fit your budget. If your total budget was, say, $1000 for everything, I might recommend Bose."

For the record- I do own something Bose... the stereo pair and subwoofer for my home PC. Limited space and no desire to run wires for 5.1 so the Bose does a nice job in the office.

· Registered
561 Posts
I think whatever brand/brands you opt for include a radio tuner in your budget, I believe you can obtain a decent one for circa $500, you refered to a Bose AV Receiver in your post, this should mean a tuner is included but like others here I think Bose is overhyped and overpriced.

My advocating radio in anyones' set - up is because you will get to hear new, great sounds and will not be constantly playing the same CDs over and over, also the media is free.:icon_smile:

F.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Bose Corporation is well-respected. Founded by MIT professor Amar Bose, their sweetspot has long been speaker systems, which audiophiles either love or hate. While Bose makes a good product, I do agree that you are paying a premium for the brand and you can find superior products for the same price or comparable products a bit cheaper, especially if you shop. But the premium is not only for the brand. The build grade of Bose products is reliably excellent. They are well-engineered and manufactured, and may last somewhat longer than many comparable electronics. One should carefully consider the value of that though, since many consumers are tempted by techological changes to upgrade long before their current system's useful life is over.

· Registered
106 Posts
It might be worthwhile for you to also consider buying a used system. There is a ton of this home theater stuff for sale used (at least in the US), and most of it sells for less than 1/2 of new cost.

Personally, I think the surround sound thing is a bit over-hyped for most people (including me). You might look into getting a nice stereo system, with the standard 2 channels/speakers, that you can hook up to your TV/video system. I think 2 really nice speakers will sound better than a cheap 5.1 or 7.1 system. You can also do a 2 channel system with a subwoofer.

It's worth browsing craigslist to see what people are selling.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
stereo

My friend

I have the Bose system. And also mixed with Klipsch. You cant go wrong with this for speakers.
Look at Bang and Olufsen. Great, but expensive CD, receiver and also do speakers.
I prefer the Bose, and the Klipsch.
Nice day

· Registered
7,502 Posts
My friend

I Look at Bang and Olufsen. Great, but expensive CD, receiver and also do speakers.
B & O is not an electronics brand as such, like for example Sony or Panasonic, it is a Danish design house that built most of its range on Philips products.

B & O for the most part nowadays has almost stopped trading in Sweden anyway, most of its Swedish shops having shut down in the last few years. Instead nowadays you can buy B & O designed products with their orignal makers badge on i.e. Philips. and at less than half the price.

B & O were ridiculously overpriced simply for design not function.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Bang and Olufsen.

Gentlemen

I disagree with the Earl. Look at the B&O. It is costly. I place it at the higher end of equipment.They have grown over the years.
I have had no problems.
I have owned most everything over the years. They do not compare to the B&O.
I also recommend Steinway, the old piano maker does speakers etc,
That is costly.
Again, recommend marrying your equipment to a very good speaker system, rather than a whole set.
I elected Klipsh. I am a big fan of Danish, German.
I feel make the best stuff.
IMO

Nice day

· Registered
32 Posts
You could do better for the money if you do not have small speaker size requirements. I would look at sites like avsforum and audioholics for researching different sets and getting user reviews. I also agree with going to a local hi-fi store and listening yourself to see what you like best. Usually if you go local, you can get a discount with a package deal.

· Registered
18 Posts
Dr. Amar Bose's main contribution to audio reproduction has been patent piracy and marketing.

Thin plastic enclosures and small, cheap, paper woofers can't be fixed by any amount of EQing.

If all you want is Bose performance, you can get a something with small speakers and similar functionality for under $2000 that will sound significantly better (though if you want really good sound you simply have to have at least regular bookshelf-size speakers).

This is a half-decent start that comes in for half the price, WITH a television:
https://www.audioholics.com/buying-...d-av-system/equipment-product-recommendations

If you really want to spend ~$7000 on your audio system, you could get some REALLY nice stuff.

· Registered
683 Posts
Although McIntosh is really expensive, I bought used, and saved a bundle. I bought a C34-V pre-amp for $700., and an MC2250 amp for about $1300. I added a pair of B+W P6 speakers and a B+W sub for another $2500, and although I don't have true surround, I have a dang fine stereo. I also think that cables are important. Most important, however is listening to several systems and deciding which one you like best.
Good Luck!

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Check out Denon. Or, you could just spend some more money and go with McIntosh. :icon_smile_big:

I also like Klipsch and Onkyo. btw, DukeGrad, Klipsch is based in Indiana.

Edit: Looks like msphotog beat me to the McIntosh recommendation.

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Although McIntosh is really expensive, I bought used, and saved a bundle. I bought a C34-V pre-amp for $700., and an MC2250 amp for about $1300. I added a pair of B+W P6 speakers and a B+W sub for another $2500, and although I don't have true surround, I have a dang fine stereo. I also think that cables are important. Most important, however is listening to several systems and deciding which one you like best.
Good Luck!
B&W, I forgot about them. They make really good speakers. Sounds like you have a good system.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.