Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow sartorialists, new member here. I just bought a herringbone tweed sportscoat from J Crew. Here's the link:

https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6287/96287.jsp

Right next to it in the store were 2 waistcoats made out of the same material, one matching the blazer and another in a dark charcoal. The link for those is:

https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6284/96284.jsp

My questions are:

Is a tweed sportscoat and vest too much tweed, out of the context of an entire tweed suit?

Is it acceptable to wear the same color coat and vest if the pants aren't matching, or will the darker vest be a better choice?

Or should I go for a more practical waistcoat fabric like worsted wool?

Thanks.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I'll leave your questions for others, but I have always preferred sweaters with tweed jackets rather than the more traditional vests. (Sorry, I'm American and prefer to leave the term "waistcoat" for my British friends. :icon_smile: ) In my mind tweed jackets and sweaters just seem to be made for each other.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
For some reason those url's are not loading on my pc.

With tweed blazer, I would say plain wool waistcoat even if the trousers are tweed. Like Cruiser I prefer wearing a sweater - dark sweater, light color shirt.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Sorry I don't have time now to bring up your links, but I don't care for matching vests other than with suits, or for special more formal wear. Just don't look right to my eye. The gray should be good if the tweed lends itself to gray, but you can wear other odd vests too. Corduroy and moleskin both tend to pair very well with tweed, and enhance the entire outfit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't really think the waistcoat and blazer would look that good together. I would suggest doing a lighter shade in a clear finished fabric, but that's definitely going to be some personal preference there.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A few years back, I had the same JCrew matching jacket and vest...loved it, unfortunately, its too big for me now, and I sold them both on the Trad Exchange. I bought from them this summer the refined herringbone jacket and vest in grey, looks nice! Go for it with the same color, not the grey!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
A tweed too far?

In my mind, a matching tweed vest in the same pattern would be overkill. It's not a suit. Someone recommended any complementary vest, and I agree. I hope it's going to be frigid, as a sport coat (don't think I would call it a "blazer") of that apparent weight plus vest is going to be a mite warm:devil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.