Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents,

I'd like to know whether the suit and shirt pictured below work together well. Personally, I'm helpless when it comes to this stuff (solid colors, I'd be fine :icon_smile_big:). The suit is a vintage Southwick 3/2 glen plaid (?) sack and the shirt a BB OCBD. I'd be wearing both on Christmas. Would a solid shirt work better? Tie suggestions? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I don't think that is a successful combination of elements. Too busy, for one thing; even if the suit is muted that's a lot for the eye to absorb.

And the shirt is really more of a sports shirt to my eye. I have a similar one and it gets the most use in the summer, no tie, no jacket, even.

Solid shirt.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd go with a white OCBD instead. Navy Blazer. Maybe a Tartan tie if you've got one. The sky blue in both the shirt and coat don't exactly scream "Merrrrry Christmaaaasss!"

That said, if you wear the combo in the picture with a solid tie, you will be better dressed than 95% of the people I will see on Christmas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd go with a white OCBD instead. Navy Blazer. Maybe a Tartan tie if you've got one. The sky blue in both the shirt and coat don't exactly scream "Merrrrry Christmaaaasss!"

That said, if you wear the combo in the picture with a solid tie, you will be better dressed than 95% of the people I will see on Christmas.
Yeah? I do have the white OCBD / navy blazer / tartan tie on hand, but that's what I always wear on holidays. I guess I'm itching to try something different. What is your suggestion for a solid tie, I was thinking I'd like to wear one of my square knit ones.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I like the shirt and I like the suit, just not together. The shirt would go well with a grey herringbone jacket or something similar. That suit just needs a white shirt. A red club or solid red tie would festive it up a bit.

Scott

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah? I do have the white OCBD / navy blazer / tartan tie on hand, but that's what I always wear on holidays. I guess I'm itching to try something different. What is your suggestion for a solid tie, I was thinking I'd like to wear one of my square knit ones.
I suggest a solid tie just to avoid three different patterns going on. Some guys can pull this off, but I'm not savvy enough to pick the right tie pattern.

·
Registered
209 Posts
wear that suit with a solid white OCBD or spread collar shirt and a light blue regimental tie. Wear that shirt with a navy suit or navy blazer. You might pull it off with a navy pinstripe suit if the stripes were fairly wide and subtle - but the shirt is a bit casual so be careful with that.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The rule is not to match patterns that are the same scale.

Unfortunately, the pattern of the coat has so many components, and the tattersall reads in several different ways, so they clash no matter what.

Definitely switch to a solid colored shirt. I have a BB tie that's red with little blue Christmas bells that would look great with that suit and be suitably Christmasy. No, you can't borrow it. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.