Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So do you guys think the Allen Edmonds chili would go well with a charcoal suit? I see a lot of threads where people say it goes well with navy, light grey, and tan, but would charcoal work too?

· Registered
8,536 Posts
I'd give chili with charcoal a firm no, and the same for darker navy. That's what burgundy is for. Chili can work well with mid grey, light grey, tan and lighter forms of navy and lighter blues. They'd work well with the air force blue trousers I'm wearing today.

Shoes should not be lighter than a suit, no matter what current fashion trends say. When the shoes are lighter than the suit, attention is drawn to your feet rather than your face. The outfit looks unbalanced and is not grounded. When shoes are the same value as your suit/trousers or darker, the shoes anchor your outfit and provide a stable and balanced base.

· Registered
627 Posts
Today, I am coincidentally wearing a solid charcoal Brooks Brothers suit with my Chili 5th Avenues.

Frankly I have worn this combination in the past and I really don't know if I like it or not. Some days it looks sharp to me. Other days, it appears to be too much of a contrast.

In the future with Charcoal, I will likely stick with black, dark brown, or burgundy.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
FWIW, I have nine pairs of chili A-Es. This is just visceral--I'm not claiming to be proclaiming any eternal laws of Timeless Style--but I would not wear chili A-Es with a charcoal suit. As others have said, black, burgundy and dark brown are much better choices. I wouldn't wear chili with midnight blue or midnight navy (if there's a difference). I would with lighter shades of navy and blue, being aware that it would ratchet down the formality of the ensemble, which may or may not be desirable. I wouldn't wear chili with medium gray, either. Light gray might be passable, but I would probably choose something else.

As others have pointed out, A-E "chili" can cover quite a spectrum of colors. This makes it harder to generalize

· Registered
777 Posts
I wear dark chili AE Carlyles with my navy suit. Yeah, there's a contrast there, but it's orders of magnitude less than doing something like wearing walnut with navy, which seems common these days. Not a day goes by I don't see a few dudes walking around the office in a navy suit and walnut strands.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
The darkest chili shoe I have is the Dellwood. I just compared it to the Harrison (the plain-toe Blucher, I think A-E may have recycled the name). I believe the (old) Harrison is a medium brown. The latter was somewhat darker than the Dellwood, I found. However, my A-E lore may be somewhat dated. I have only purchased one pair of dress or dress casual A-Es since 2007, and even they (the Strand in dark brown) were bought early in 2009.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
I'd give chili with charcoal a firm no, and the same for darker navy. That's what burgundy is for. Chili can work well with mid grey, light grey, tan and lighter forms of navy and lighter blues. They'd work well with the air force blue trousers I'm wearing today.

Shoes should not be lighter than a suit, no matter what current fashion trends say. When the shoes are lighter than the suit, attention is drawn to your feet rather than your face. The outfit looks unbalanced and is not grounded. When shoes are the same value as your suit/trousers or darker, the shoes anchor your outfit and provide a stable and balanced base.
As usual - a voice of reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.