Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get really turned off by anything that is mass-distributed. Too many outlets/stores, too many price ranges to make them 'accessible' to everyone, too much advertising, etc. The quality of the clothes stops mattering at that point - I just hate the fact that everyone and his cousin knows about it and can buy it and there is nothing "special" about it. I like owning something that only a small group of devoted people know about and can access. I guess you can call it elitist. But this isn't even about expensive vs. inexpensive. It is about mass availability - stuff like Prada, for example, I just can't stand anymore. I'm happier buying a shirt that costs 75% less at a no-name place in Italy because I know the cut, design and fabric is not going to be owned by masses of people.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Your not alone, many of my clients love the exclusivity of getting to choose their own fabric and design all the style details for a unique suit. They really like the idea that they can be sure when they enter a room or meeting no one will be wearing the same suit, shirt, shoes, or anything else they have selected.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cabbage:

The solution is easy! Bespoke!! If you can afford it.

And what kind of car do you drive? :icon_smile:
I do bespoke when I can, but sometimes I'll buy stuff off-the-rack too when it fits well. Most of my casual-wear is off-the-rack because I can't really afford to do everything bespoke.

I live in Manhattan and like a lot of people who live here, I don't own a car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I personally don't care if something is mass produced or not. As long as it is good quality and looks good. If somebody else out there is wearing the same thing I just think man that guy has good style.

But frankly, I might be different than most people on here as I usually don't notice what other people are wearing unless it is unbelievably nice or atrocious.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I like owning something that only a small group of devoted people know about and can access.
I don't think this is uncommon in society as a whole, although the focus of the desire to be unique in some way may be related to something other than clothes in other people. That's why I think it's important that we don't let our specific unique characteristic reflect in the way we think about others who may not share that same interest.

For example, I am your basic OTR suit, Docker's, Rockport kind of guy but when it comes to my Harley-Davidson I have spent a small fortune in both time and money customizing that puppy to reflect my personality. I can park it with a hundred others and none will look like mine. Many of the parts were custom machined or purchased from small companies where it was hand made. It's fun to be asked where I obtained some unique part.

I'm now doing the same thing with my weekend "toy" car. I started by buying a no frills six cylinder Mustang convertible and I'm now in the process of "building" my own unique car with various aftermarket and Ford Racing parts. When the Eaton supercharger is put on my little six cylinder will actually be a GT killer perhaps pushing 400 HP, depending on how far I go with it. My goal is a unique car rather than a cookie cutter Detroit assembled car that looks like all of the other Mustangs out there.

So yes, I do understand where you are coming from.

Cruiser

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think this is uncommon in society as a whole, although the focus of the desire to be unique in some way may be related to something other than clothes in other people. That's why I think it's important that we don't let our specific unique characteristic reflect in the way we think about others who may not share that same interest.

For example, I am your basic OTR suit, Docker's, Rockport kind of guy but when it comes to my Harley-Davidson I have spent a small fortune in both time and money customizing that puppy to reflect my personality. I can park it with a hundred others and none will look like mine. Many of the parts were custom machined or purchased from small companies where it was hand made. It's fun to be asked where I obtained some unique part.

I'm now doing the same thing with my weekend "toy" car. I started by buying a no frills six cylinder Mustang convertible and I'm now in the process of "building" my own unique car with various aftermarket and Ford Racing parts. When the Eaton supercharger is put on my little six cylinder will actually be a GT killer perhaps pushing 400 HP, depending on how far I go with it. My goal is a unique car rather than a cookie cutter Detroit assembled car that looks like all of the other Mustangs out there.

So yes, I do understand where you are coming from.

Cruiser
I can appreciate what you do with your Harley and cars. That is your hobby and interest. Similarly, clothes and fashion are my hobby so I fuss over them :aportnoy:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
At this somewhat advanced stage of my life, I have a personal style that's been essentially fully formed for perhaps the last 20 years. It consists of items that are bespoke and RTW. Expensive and inexpensive. And if I am in a room, no one will be dressed like me, even if they share one or more articles of clothing that I am wearing. And this is because the greater effect isn't of this tie or that jacket, but of a cohesive style.

This style is my language. The articles of clothing I select are things I like that I have learned to use as the vocabulary that will allow me to express who I am and whatever I have to say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just dip everything in hot pink and lime green paint. Now I know I'm unique, and everyone can see it.

I think clothing is as personal as you make it, take the simple white tshirt or navy suit for instance, its the tailoring that makes the difference, and the confidence you wear it with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.