Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm hoping someone can tell me about these pants I just acquired. They are made by the C.H. Masland company. What I'm trying to figure out is what they are called, why they have the leather on the seat, and when they would have been made. My thought as to the leather on the seat is to keep moisture out when the hunter was sitting on a something damp -like the ground or a log. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Unfortunately, I cannot say the intended use of these pants, but I can say a little about them. As you see, the tag indicates Carlisle, PA. The Masland family, still prominent in this area, owned a large carpet business. The Masland patriarch got started around Philadelphia after the Civil War (1866), but the factory was not located in Carlisle until, I believe, 1928. The Masland factory produced carpet until WWII, when it produced cotton duck fabric for the armed forces. During this time, they also made foul weather gear for the navy. The sportswear line was an offshoot of this production.

Edit: Of course, it goes without saying that the factory is now closed. The property was purchased by Carlisle Events, a car show sponsor, and used for storage. Recently, large portions of the complex burned and it is now being targeted for redevelopment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.