Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I am watching televison shows, I alway find myself wondering who makes the clothes the characters are wearing; not all the time, but some of the time.

It occurred to me that networks should use the closed caption feature to identify the makes of different outfits and articles of clothing, kind of like the MTV pop up videos. That way, viewers could hit a button and find out the make of the clothes being worn in the shows. What a great way to advertise. I have seen all the CSI reruns anyway, and this way I can learn something useful while I watch.

Wonder who I would pitch this idea to.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,695 Posts
:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:? Hour long shows on TV these days, include 20+ minutes of commercials and you're looking for ways to increase such content availability? We presently prerecord TV shows, so that we can eliminate all the annoying distractions! Otherwise we just read a book. ;)

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
In Harrydog's day, television was a different animal ...
I remember when, if the TV viewer assumed that the male actors' clothing was made by Botany 500, he'd stand a good chance of being correct. Unless he was watching one of the many westerns that were so popular back then. (I figure it's OK to bring up ancient history in this thread, inasmuch as we are responding to a question that was posed nearly 14 years ago.)

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I remember when, if the TV viewer assumed that the male actors' clothing was made by Botany 500, he'd stand a good chance of being correct. Unless he was watching one of the many westerns that were so popular back then. (I figure it's OK to bring up ancient history in this thread, inasmuch as we are responding to a question that was posed nearly 14 years ago.)
It was safer to assume that Botany 500 sponsored the clothes. You often see their name in the credits, but proper tailors often made the clothes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:? Hour long shows on TV these days, include 20+ minutes of commercials and you're looking for ways to increase such content availability? We presently prerecord TV shows, so that we can eliminate all the annoying distractions! Otherwise we just read a book. ;)
Pre-record? Stream instead and never deal with a commercial.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Right.

"Dick Van ****'s wardrobe furnished by Botany 500, Tailored by Daroff."

I'll always associate Botany 500 with old television sitcoms.
Daroff didn't tailor Dick Van **** either! He in reality used a Beverly Hills tailor that I can't recall the name of at the moment (not Sy Devore).

Botany 500 was also known for dressing game show hosts, perhaps even more than sitcoms.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Jerry Lewis, both on and off-screen, was a long-time customer of Sy Devore.
Devore was the most famous LA tailor of that era and tailored some of the highest-profile celebrities. Jack Taylor was also quite famous. But I just can't recall the name of Van ****'s tailor! I think I have it in some of my notes at home, so I'll look for it there.

·
Inactive
1,568 Posts
He was such a good spokesperson that Botany 500 didn't care that he didn't even wear their clothes.
I found this interesting titbit, which unfortunately doesn't include the name of the tailor.

"Despite its star's constant promotion, The Dick Van **** Show was deceptive about its usage of Botany 500 clothing. According to The Official Dick Van **** Show Bookby Vince Waldron, the sitcom struck a deal to have Botany 500 supply Van ****'s wardrobe free of charge, in exchange for an onscreen credit in the end. Here's the rub: It was all a fraud. Botany 500 merely agreed to pay a celebrity tailor in Beverly Hills to craft custom suits for Van ****. Harald Johnson, head of costuming on the show, confessed, "[The suits] were all custom-made - and very expensive." Far more expensive than Botany 500 suits viewers would find in a department store."

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I found this interesting titbit, which unfortunately doesn't include the name of the tailor.

"Despite its star's constant promotion, The Dick Van **** Show was deceptive about its usage of Botany 500 clothing. According to The Official Dick Van **** Show Bookby Vince Waldron, the sitcom struck a deal to have Botany 500 supply Van ****'s wardrobe free of charge, in exchange for an onscreen credit in the end. Here's the rub: It was all a fraud. Botany 500 merely agreed to pay a celebrity tailor in Beverly Hills to craft custom suits for Van ****. Harald Johnson, head of costuming on the show, confessed, "[The suits] were all custom-made - and very expensive." Far more expensive than Botany 500 suits viewers would find in a department store."
What's the world coming to when you can't believe an advertisement?!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.