Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of late 70s/early 80s Ray Ban Powderhorn sunglasses that were my dad's from forever ago. The frames are in great shape (except for a few teeth marks - my dad has a habit of clenching his sunglasses in his teeth when he takes them off briefly) but the lenses are badly scratched and their yellow tint doesn't do a good job of blocking the sun/looks ridiculous. I am nearsighted, and got to thinking that maybe these frames would be a good candidate to have fitted with prescription lenses. Does anyone have experience doing this and have any idea how difficult it would be to find an optometrist to fit tinted (black, that is - not yellow) lenses to an older pair of sunglasses, and at what expense? I also have a pair of updated (and still current) Wayfarers from a few years ago that I'd like to have fitted with prescription lenses - does anyone have an idea of how much that would cost?

· Registered
2,722 Posts
old frames

I've worn relatively round tortoise shell frames for years, and each time I need new glasses I use the old frames for prescription sun glasses. It's worked pretty well and I have found that having prescription trifocal sunglasses really works well for reading trash novels on the beach while on vacation. ;-)
Tom

· Registered
1,132 Posts
LensCrafters will be happy to do this sort of thing and they can almost always match a lens to a frame especially if they still have the original lenses in them. They have several ways of turning polycarb blanks into lenses and one of them involves using the old lenses as an exact template.

Some optometrists can do this of course but many are not set up for this kind of semi-forensic work.

Whatever you choose I hope you will post some before & after pictures. :cool:

· Registered
5,852 Posts
I always keep 2 pr of Rx RayBan Wayfarer IIs (they fit my big head, OK?) in my car. LensCrafters does the lens honors.

Which lens fits into which frame depends somewhat on your particular Rx. It's hard to make thicker Rx lenses work in the more curved frames of many "sport" sunglasses, for instance. But RayBans should not be a problem.

W/in the ensemble, the frames are by far the least costly component, as RBs cost only about $100 (very cheap compared to a lot of eyeglass frames). My lenses cost several times that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.