Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few more candid shots of J.Press 1954, somehow I don't remember seeing these before. Worth putting in one place, I guess

Reactions: DCR

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Reactions: DCR

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Holy cow that ⇧ is a sport coat with a full attitude of texture and pockets.

⇧ Don't know if he walked in with them or is trying them on from the bottom of a stack (how chinos used to be displayed), but great example of the rumpled-chino look. That typifies the wonderful casual attitude of Ivy style at its best for me.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few more

A few more

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A few things strike me with the photos.
1) In Post #2; that sack suit the kid is trying on looks awful on him. I hope that wasn't the finished product.
2) In Post #4; wow, THOSE are some dirty bucks. Secondly, can't help but to take note of the rolled up pants legs. I'm thinking it was raining out, as evidenced by the way the shoes look, and he was trying to keep the mess off his pants.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

⇧ Don't know if he walked in with them or is trying them on from the bottom of a stack (how chinos used to be displayed), but great example of the rumpled-chino look. That typifies the wonderful casual attitude of Ivy style at its best for me.
I'd guess that the khakis were turned up because it was raining outside, to wit his wet bucks.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen a number of these before. All the photos in this series were taken at J Press, correct?

This photo is a great example of proper pant cuff length. I need to show this to my seamstress:

I can't remember how many of these, I have seen but I hadn't seen the whole group in the Life archives before. The label on these is Madison Ave. Look New Haven, Conn. by Nina Leen. I assume they are all Press, but can't say for sure.
I agree about the trouser fit. These are perfect. Also, seems like a sharp break (no pun intended) from 1940s styles.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the feeling that must have been what the kid wore into the shop, partly because the jacket looks like it might have spent some time on a dorm room floor and also it seems more 40s style, then 50s. Of course, who knows.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like this one. In 1954, they would have been long past when college kids were expected to wear a hat, but still be expected to wear one when they got a job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.