Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stubbled upon a store on 33th street NYC called "My.Suit". They specialize in MTM Suits priced from $495-$2000. First they let you pick a fabric, second you make your choices on styling and finally they take up to 30 measurements for your personalized suit. Your suit will be ready for pick up after 2 weeks and i was wondering if anybody has delt with this company before. It looks like a pretty elegant little place and im thinking about dropping $1000 on a MTM rather than some OTR Canali. Would this be a wise? their website is www.mysuitny.com

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Sounds fishy to me....

MTM in 2 weeks with no fittings? Why not go with BB in New York for an MTM from a known quality vendor who guarantees their work. The low end price is just too low, and you don't have any experience purchasing suits except perhaps your navy uniforms. If BB can't make an MTM for $1000 why should these people be able to?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This sounds way too good to be true and we all know what that usually means.

Unless you are hard to fit or want some style that no one stocks, I am not sure that MTM is a good value compared to quality RTW.

When I was young and an easy fit and local stores sold the trad style that I prefer, I bought RTW from a well established men's store. They were made by well known American manufactures and I was always happy with the clothes.

I am no longer an easy fit and and no store in So Cal that I know of sells what I want to wear so I have been buying MTM for about ten years. The store I buy from has been in business for about 50 years and I have a choice of manufacturers so I feel very secure about my orders which I don't pay for until delivery.

From my experience the prices My Suit sound way low and the delivery faster than I would expect.

I would really proceed with caution with this deal and think the suggestion to check out Brooks Bros is a good one. You might also look at what J. Press has available.

Good luck, Jim.

·
Registered
769 Posts
There actually are a couple of MTM makers in NYC well regarded by this forum who will make a suit for under $1000, and a maker in LA popular on SF who does full canvas MTM for much less, so the price itself should not be an inherent cause for concern. Judging by their website and address, they've invested some money in their operation and seem legitimate. That said, you might want to ask some serious questions: where are the suits made; where are the fabrics from; are they full/half-canvassed/fused/;can you specify shoulder slope, lapel width, armhole height, etc.; do they guarantee satisfaction? Will that $1000 suit be equal in quality/fit to that Canali? As has often been pointed out, there's MTM and there's MTM, and lots of measurements alone won't guarantee a good fit. If they have a house style in your size you could try on, that might give you a starting point...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If we are thinking of the same operation in the L.A. area, it is mostly a self measure mail order operation with final adjustments done by one's own tailor. The exception is that one can be measured in Pasadena at certain restricted times.

I think people who are a difficult fit and really need MTM would want to be measured by a tailor and ideally by the tailor who will make the final adjustments. Also, the company that makes my suits - Samualsohn - has two trunk shows a year at the store I deal with and their head tailor is often there to answer any questions.

Also besides various styles and options, they have hundreds of fabric choices.

I have little faith in self measurement and a situation where one needs to find there own tailor for final adjustments is an entirely different level of 'MTM' and perhaps should have a different name even.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I visited My.Suit when I went on a shopping trip to NYC back in February. It's a hard store to miss since it's directly across the street from station when you get off the train!

My impression is that they are going after the tourist crowd. The ones who want to go back home and say "I bought a custom suit in New York!". The staff were nice but not particularly knowledgeable and at that time the selection was somewhat limited.

I ended up being one of those tourists that bought a custom suit in New york. I worked with Izzy at LS Men's Clothing and I have a perfect fitting tuxedo for my wedding.

I think the comments up-thread have it right. There are several well established high quality MTM shops in New York in the $1000 price range including Brooks Brothers and LS Mens Clothing.

You might want to check out the sticky thread on shopping threads. I'm sure there are many recommendations there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wold like to open this up again!

My experience with MySuit MTM was ok. I bought the starter suit ($500), a mid-grey wool suit (feels like 100s) with slanted pockets and all the piping & trimmings. Was informed that the suit is half fused and half canvassed. Shelling out $1000 was not a question because this is my first experience with them. They took my measurements with light conversation. It was pleasent. When I received the product in 2 weeks, it fit. To be honest, I know I am not an expert with respect to suiting, but for $500 ($540...NY TAX) I look good. Normally I wear HF OTR (130s) from Neiman and Nordstrom, with the alterations that complement me well. I would recommend them for solid colored suits, because I have heard matching the patterns or strips is a problem. They have Zegna fabric but I am still sceptical. Looking for some insight and others experience with them. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mysuitny.com store on Madison in Midtown

They are very honest about the construction and whatnot. I walked into the store on Madison and 46th a couple weeks back. They were very nice people and upfront about the process.

They measure you and take all of your requests for special details down. They have a lot of different fabrics, costing btwn $500 to $800 for a two piece suit. The fabrics are fine, not great, but they are all there in large samples so it is very clear what you are getting. One thing I thought was very annoying is that all of their liners have the "mysuitny.com" logo on the inside. They don't offer a plain fabric with no logo.

The suits are made in Mexico based on your measurments and requests, and then when the suit gets in about 2 weeks after your fitting they will tailor it again to fine tune the fit. There is no canvas involved.

I would compare these guys to a HK tailor with lesser quality fabrics for the price. The upside to these guys is you can get the adjustments made in house after your suit has been made, as opposed to having to take a HK suit to a local tailor and pay for the changes, or spend all the time and expense sending the suit back to HK for alterations. I have a 220s cashmere from a HK tailor that cost me $600 that I would prefer for the price over the fabrics at mysuit.

The website is mysuitny.com and you can check it all out there. After looking it over in the store I went with a suit from Mr. Ned. I will be going back to commission another two suits with him this week or next, as my first experience with Varham was outstanding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with reservations nyc dressed

I agree with you with respect to the lining. it is a little annoying but for a $500 suit, I could live with that.

As mentioned on this forum....I did the canvass test by pinching the chest to feel the lining in between the fabric and pinching below the button (since I have a one button suit) and my suit is half- canvassed. Is there a way to fake this? If so, I would like to know.

And again, I am only looking for solid colors from this manufacturer for the simple fact that patterns do not match.

I understand, if I am looking for better fabric chooses, I probably do better to go somewhere else (price point will be higher) and if so, are those suits fully canvassed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.