Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.newsweek.com/id/172557

It sounds to me like this guy doesn't get paid well enough to shop at Bergdorf Goodman, and he's bitter.

I get to New York about once every eighteen months, and my regular salesperson at Bergdorf's, who I do not contact between visits, always remembers me and what I bought last time. I have never met a rude salesperson there or had a problem with someone assuming that I couldn't afford to buy whatever I wanted. And frankly, I can't. I make a good salary but I am not in the market for $5,000 suits or $1,000 sweaters.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
Everyone is , in some way impacted by this economic mess.
And everyone is looking for someone, something to blame; illegal immigrants who took jobs, CEO greadheads, irresponsible banking practises and people who saw credit cards as bubbles that would never pop.
So it's natural some 'journalist' who probably consumes more calories at a McDonalds in one day than a third world child does in a week looks 'up' but never down and resents the twinkling of stars he cannot grasp.
The clamshells are out, and librarians should take shelter.

· Registered
1,726 Posts
If I was Bergdorf Goodman, I wouldn't want this guy's business. I'm not a huge shopper there because I can't afford it, but it's a great store. In fact it's one of the finest specialty department stores in America. They are really good at serving their market, and the deals of late have been nothing short of incredible. Best of all, even in desperate times, the salespeople (despite this schlub Gross's observation) are as helpful as ever.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
There are many people who listen to the news and think they can just walk into a store, name a price and walk out as though they were stealing the product and leaving a tip for the help carrying the merchandise out to their car.

I don't understand what this guy expects from BG. And for him to refer to the salespeople as "nasty" is especially nasty.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Never been to BG; however, the author is clearly biased - he has a condescending attitude about people in there to begin with.

He clearly thinks it is ridiculous that items in that store cost so much; my advice: don't go in.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He clearly thinks it is ridiculous that items in that store cost so much; my advice: don't go in.
Every now and then I'll be in Neiman's and I'll hear someone talking very loudly about how expensive everything is and how one would have to be a fool to shop there. Who do they think they're talking to? Usually they're fat and sloppy and don't look like they know how to pick out quality clothes in their price point, let alone know why the things at Neiman's are more expensive.

There's an article on NYT.com about Bulgari and how they're cutting back on opening stores, and implementing cost-cutting measures like not putting a high polish on the inside of watch bands. So many of the comments were like this Newsweek guy - bitter and nasty and gleeful that rich people have problems.

Of course, it's not the rich people that have the problems - it's the regular guys who work for companies with rich clients.

My comment on the thread, after expressing my disgust at the mean-spirited people, was that technical innovation is driven by rich people. If no one was willing to pay $15,000 for a plasma TV ten years ago, would the companies have had the money to develop one they could sell for $3,000 today? And if people didn't want power windows on their 1969 Cadillac, would it be around for people to get on their 2008 Chevy Malibu?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.