Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
If you are limiting consideration to RTW foot-gear, boots from the Lucchese Classic series are as good as you will find. Its been my experience that they are very comfortable on the foot and the two pair I have have held up quite well. www.grapevinehill.com currently has some great deals on Lucchese Classics, if you can find your size.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A resounding YES! I have posted elsewhere about Lucchese Classic roper boots. I paid up and had them professionally fitted. The advice was well worth it, in terms of sizing and especially the choice of ranch hand leather. (Ranch hand leather is much softer and has a matte finish.) Comfort is great, and you don't need a boot jack to remove them. They have become my all time favorite shoes. All told, it probably cost me $100 more than it would have via on-line purchase. I am headed back next month to Leddy's in Fort Worth for another pair. Bill

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^They will, if properly cared for and, given the construction with an exotic hide, if they are not used for carrying out chores around the barn! However, the goat hide shaft should prove quite durable component of the boot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
About nine years ago I bought a pair of black Lucchese classics (goatskin ropers) that I wear very sporadically, but they are wonderful, comfortable, good looking boots. I remember them costing about 3x what Justin or Post ropers would have cost, but only about a third of what a pair of custom cowboy boots would have set me back (I've got a pair of Paul Wheeler boots that now run about $800 or more, depending on the stitching). Of course, with a custom boot, you are paying for the stitching and the leather inlays. But, hey, maybe your boots end up in some book as Art.

In short, top of the line RTW Lucchese's are good boots, but the step up to custom, as I recall, was pretty stiff. I was living in Houston at the time and bought all these boots in Texas.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lucchese Classics are good quality boots, and are usually the best boots one will find at most Western stores. Other alternatives for similar quality boots at about the same price point, are Black Jack boots, and Rios of Mercedes boots. However, these boots have a smaller distribution, and are not as readily available as Lucchese Classics.

True, most custom cowboy boots from most custom shops do start at around the one $1K range. However, there are a few custom bootmakers left in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, in the cities of Raymondville, and Mercedes, that make high quality custom boots for a similar price to Lucchese Classics.

I have had many pairs of cowboy boots made, by many different companies. I would say the quality of my boots from the Rio Grande Valley is just as good, if not better, than my boots made elsewhere.

Jess

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lucchese is hands-down the best mass produced boot in the US. I have 4 pair, and wouldn't own another. Like most quality goods discussed on this forum they are not inexpensive, but they're worth every cotton pickin' penny.

A must.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.