Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Why not do what Cary Grant did as Mr Thornhill- white shirt and silver/grey tie. Oh, and dark glasses (because his eyes were sensitive to questions!).

I think light grey suit is the most versatile for tie colours. From black to silver and all the shades in between.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I don't care for gray dress shirts, either solid, or in a pattern on white. But I do like black patterns on white. Once had a candy striped black and white shirt with white club collar that I wore pinned, and that had white double cuffs. Also a black check on white with a white spread collar and white double cuffs. Both shirts served as a provacative canvas for ties with a light gray sharkskin. If you like solid ties, try a maroon or burgundy grenadine with either of the above shirts and a white linen pocket square. Black shoes and maroon socks. (With clocks!)

Though that's just one of many options.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As stated previously, the options are practically limitless, but here are my preferences for light grey suits:

White shirt
White pocket square, square (TV) fold
Ties of any nearly any pattern with elements of Navy and/or Burgundy
Light to medium brown shoes with socks to complement the tie (my preference) - or -
Cordovan or Oxblood shoes with socks to match the trousers
I personally don't like black shoes with light grey, but that's just me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What color shirt and tie combinations do you recommend when wearing a light gray flannel to the office?
Any shoe suggestions other than the obvious black cap toes?
Any color shirt as long as it's white or lt. blue.

ties: Navy, Maroon, Black (as long as there's some grey or silver in it). You want a darker colored tie to contrast with the lighter color of the suit.

Shoes: if you go cordovan, you can't wear a black tie.

Consider (for color only)

Simply smashing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.