Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harris Tweed has lowered the costs on their goods to the point that our store may again sell them. They blame the losses of the pound sterling against the dollar. Good news for those not wanting to mortgage a child to buy a sportcoat.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
When I was learning the business I was taught that Harris Tweed was the "Poor man's Shetland". Although Harris Tweed was and is harder wearing, it did not have the loft, drape, or depth of color that Shetland offered. The harder wear aspect rarely comes into play- very few people wear out Shetland. Back then Harris was less expensive than Shetland. Through the years the worm has turned. Not because Harris miraculously became better than Shetland, but because the of the "promotion " of Harris. It is still hand loomed on the Isle of Harris and money has been spent spreading the lore and the importance of seeing the "Orb". When you buy Harris, part of your cost is the advertising. My father was correct- it is still not as nice as Shetland.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Harris Tweed has lowered the costs on their goods to the point that our store may again sell them. They blame the losses of the pound sterling against the dollar. Good news for those not wanting to mortgage a child to buy a sportcoat.
I take it from your post that you are referring to the clothing made by Brian Haggis. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. But for me, Harris Tweed is a fine tweed fabric made by crafters, not a questionable clothing line made by a greedy Yorkshireman.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=83876&highlight=Haggis

That it's pricing should fall is hardly surprising given the exchange rate for the BP combined with Haggis' foolish attempted strategy to drive up its price.

And while Paul Winston has and always will possess more knowledge of fine clothing in his little finger than I do in my entire geriatric carcass, I've always preferred Harris Tweed to Shetland precisely for its firmer hand and its myriad heather tones.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it from your post that you are referring to the clothing made by Brian Haggis. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. But for me, Harris Tweed is a fine tweed fabric made by crafters, not a questionable clothing line made by a greedy Yorkshireman.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=83876&highlight=Haggis

That it's pricing should fall is hardly surprising given the exchange rate for the BP combined with Haggis' foolish attempted strategy to drive up its price.

And while Paul Winston has and always will possess more knowledge of fine clothing in his little finger than I do in my entire geriatric carcass, I've always prefered Harris Tweed to Shetland precisely for its firmer hand and its myriad heather tones.
Not knowing the history, I'll tread lightly.

We have an account with a company called Harris Tweed. To my knowledge Harris Tweed is a protected trade mark that can only be used on cloth woven in the outer hebrides. The company we do business with is (i believe) in Scotland, but may be somewhere else in the UK.

As far as i can tell the cloth is the real article. BTW the wholesale cost was reduced by half, and while a better deal is still in the realm of nicely tailored coats from Jack Victor LTD and with the exception of the fabric, not as nice a coat.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Not knowing the history, I'll tread lightly.

We have an account with a company called Harris Tweed. To my knowledge Harris Tweed is a protected trade mark that can only be used on cloth woven in the outer hebrides. The company we do business with is (i believe) in Scotland, but may be somewhere else in the UK.

As far as i can tell the cloth is the real article. BTW the wholesale cost was reduced by half, and while a better deal is still in the realm of nicely tailored coats from Jack Victor LTD and with the exception of the fabric, not as nice a coat.
I believe that is Haggis' company to which you are referring. As briefly as I remember, Haggis bought the last remaining major mill that finished 95% of Harris Tweed, and that mill's name was The Harris Tweed Co. He then shut it down and used its inventory for fabric for his RTW clothing. He would not sell it to anyone else as he wished his RTW clothing to become the only available source for Harris Tweed mens clothing. The objective was to constrict supply in an attempt to drive up prices. It seems not to be working.

So while the name Harris Tweed must by law apply to cloth that meets rigorous criteria of authenticity, the Harris Tweed Co. is now Haggis' name to use as he wishes. That he is attempting, and evidently succeeding to some degree to make the two synonymous will only work to the detriment of the reputation of the cloth.

But it appears some Harris Tweed fabric remains in other hands as J. G. Hardy can still offer the lovely cloth for the making of superior clothing.

https://www.jjminnis.com/bobb.php?b=jgh&c=5&p=1

Worse could happen than for an admirer to obtain some and take it to Paul Winston or another fine tailor!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Would it be unreasonable to say that any Harris Tweed jacket has at least 35.00 USD in it in material alone? (cost to the coat maker) I would think that since it is hand made there would be that kind of cost...maybe more. I ask this because I see very frequently Harris Tweed jacket selling (used) at prices ranging from two or three dollars to 15.oo and think "what a bargain". Am I the only one this has occurred to?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
When I was learning the business I was taught that Harris Tweed was the "Poor man's Shetland". Although Harris Tweed was and is harder wearing, it did not have the loft, drape, or depth of color that Shetland offered. The harder wear aspect rarely comes into play- very few people wear out Shetland. Back then Harris was less expensive than Shetland. Through the years the worm has turned. Not because Harris miraculously became better than Shetland, but because the of the "promotion " of Harris. It is still hand loomed on the Isle of Harris and money has been spent spreading the lore and the importance of seeing the "Orb". When you buy Harris, part of your cost is the advertising. My father was correct- it is still not as nice as Shetland.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
Paul what would the source be for a jacket that is labeled hand loomed in Scotland?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Would it be unreasonable to say that any Harris Tweed jacket has at least 35.00 USD in it in material alone? (cost to the coat maker) I would think that since it is hand made there would be that kind of cost...maybe more. I ask this because I see very frequently Harris Tweed jacket selling (used) at prices ranging from two or three dollars to 15.oo and think "what a bargain". Am I the only one this has occurred to?
John G. Hardy shows Harris at L30.00 a meter. https://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/hardyminnis/asp/showroom2.asp?seco=H?cate=T?

I figure we can do a couple of calculation but all they are going to show is that if you can get a sports coat made of a good fabric for 10.00 bucks you are getting a bargain. I echo the belief that the garment costs less then what the fabric would cost . My caveats would be if the jacket, suit ect was in a poor fit, poor construction or styled in some outrageous way then it is never worth it. Right now it seems like there are all kinds of bargains. Here are two examples

This is a tweed shooting suit by Chipp for Cyrus Vance. It sold $201.61.
This might be higher then some second hand garments but given the quality and the pedigree this is dirt cheap.

The second is a Chipp tweed jacket from 1953 owned by someone with a little less name recognition. Sold for $9.95 and came to $18.05 shipped. Each seem to represent real value.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You are right...those are bargains and represent real value. I realize you can find secondhand jackets with even better cloth than Harris Tweed for bargain prices. Its just that when I see a Harris Tweed for two bucks the image of a guy in a cottage sitting at his loom for hours on end to produce enough cloth for a jacket seems like such a waste. I try to do my part and buy them if they look good and are my size. After Paul's comments I will be paying more attention to the Shetland.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You are right...those are bargains and represent real value. I realize you can find secondhand jackets with even better cloth than Harris Tweed for bargain prices. Its just that when I see a Harris Tweed for two bucks the image of a guy in a cottage sitting at his loom for hours on end to produce enough cloth for a jacket seems like such a waste. I try to do my part and buy them if they look good and are my size. After Paul's comments I will be paying more attention to the Shetland.
We are on the same page:icon_smile: I have to admit that I have the desire to rescue some of these jackets. I was at the salvation army the other day and there was a jacket on the rack that just glowed in comparrison to the other jackets. It was a Harris three button with a center vent made in the US with the 1949-1962 union tag. it had darts but still a great jacket. It looks brownish at a distance but when you get up close the brown is so warm it is almost pink with sky blue touches and black. I had to buy it in hopes that someone else would appreciate it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If that jacket ...

We are on the same page:icon_smile: I have to admit that I have the desire to rescue some of these jackets. I was at the salvation army the other day and there was a jacket on the rack that just glowed in comparrison to the other jackets. It was a Harris three button with a center vent made in the US with the 1949-1962 union tag. it had darts but still a great jacket. It looks brownish at a distance but when you get up close the brown is so warm it is almost pink with sky blue touches and black. I had to buy it in hopes that someone else would appreciate it.
... measures out to a 40R or a 41R, PM me with pics and your price ASAP! A classic HT blazer is, for me, a bit of heaven on Earth, all opinions about Shetlands aside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.