Men's Clothing Forums banner

Loro Piana - What is a normal price for this fabric?

14K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TheBarbaron 
#1 ·
I'm new to buying these name brand fabrics, but since buying a Charles Clayton and VBC, I won't buy anything less. They are just an amazing difference in the lower end fabrics in look and feel. Never did I realize it was all in the fabric.

Anyway, I live in Japan and get my suits from a local tailor shop. The basic cheap fabric runs about 30,000 JPY (300$). However, they have the nicer fabrics as well. I saw a beautiful looking dark grey (slight shine) Loro Piana. Sticker price for that fabric (which includes the cost of making the suit obviously) is 100,000 JPY, however he said he will give me it at a discounted price of 80,000 JPY (800 USD).

Would this be considered appropriately priced or higher/lower than what others on this forum would pay for such a suit. These suits are MTM, however since I basically customize every inch of the jacket and pants, I'm not too sure what the real difference is between bespoke and MTM.

Anyway, just trying to understand if I am getting a good deal on the price or not.

#2 ·
I'm new to buying these name brand fabrics, but since buying a Charles Clayton and VBC, I won't buy anything less. They are just an amazing difference in the lower end fabrics in look and feel. Never did I realize it was all in the fabric.

Anyway, I live in Japan and get my suits from a local tailor shop. The basic cheap fabric runs about 30,000 JPY (300$). However, they have the nicer fabrics as well. I saw a beautiful looking dark grey (slight shine) Loro Piana. Sticker price for that fabric (which includes the cost of making the suit obviously) is 100,000 JPY, however he said he will give me it at a discounted price of 80,000 JPY (800 USD).

Would this be considered appropriately priced or higher/lower than what others on this forum would pay for such a suit. These suits are MTM, however since I basically customize every inch of the jacket and pants, I'm not too sure what the real difference is between bespoke and MTM.

Anyway, just trying to understand if I am getting a good deal on the price or not.
I'm afraid your question really can't be answered in the terms you ask it. They're too many variables that are unknown.

#3 ·
Typically 5 yards to make a suit, 3.5 jacket 1.5 pants. That's $160/yard at the $800 price. I just googled pricing and there is Huddersfield suiting for $90/yd, Loro Piana cashmere for $225/yd and Zegna going for even more so no, he's probably not gouging.

#8 ·
Flanderian, I have heard the same thing about Loro Piana. The only thing I have from them is a 100% cashmere sport coat (thrift) and while it feels heavenly, it's hot enough I seldom wear it except Christmas parties. I couldn't tell you how hardy it is based off a few wears a year.

#9 ·
I’ve heard the exact opposite about LP fabrics so I guess the only thing left is to experience it yourself.

People develop all sorts of biases for and against things; it’s human nature.

I own LP outerwear and my MTM suits from Paul Stuart are made with LP fabric and I’ve not had issues.

Mind you I don’t wear suits daily so take what I say and my opinion with that consideration.

#10 ·
My impression of LP fabric is all good but I admit I am a sucker for spending money on expensive fabric. Give me Kiton 14 micron or Zegna 14milmil all day long and I am happy. While I don't recommend going to that extreme to others (I think the expense outweighs the benefit) a more modest upgrade is well worth the cost even on a lesser suit. Just feels better...and you will enjoy the suit more because of that.

#11 ·
What is a normal price for a Chevrolet? From about $13,000 to about $87,000.

LP is a famous name, but they may have less expensive lower quality fabric also.

#15 ·
Every piece of LP that I have owned (including LP mainline and others using LP fabric) has been of excellent quality. The only issues that I have had with something LP was in the construction. That was the fault of the tailoring, not the fabric. $800 for a custom made suit using standard LP fabric? Sure, why not?

#16 ·
We make clothing with LP (along with most of the other well-known mills), and I've found it to be overall very good. It's got a tad more body than most of the VBC fabrics I've run into - I still prefer some of the SCABAL stuff for the drape (particularly their English milled fabrics), but no knocks against LP.

OP, on spec, this sounds like a fine price (assuming the workmanship of the tailor in question is also satisfactory), though it's hard to be more specific than that without knowing which LP fabric is involved - there are plenty of tiers within such a prolific producer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.