Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to buying these name brand fabrics, but since buying a Charles Clayton and VBC, I won't buy anything less. They are just an amazing difference in the lower end fabrics in look and feel. Never did I realize it was all in the fabric.

Anyway, I live in Japan and get my suits from a local tailor shop. The basic cheap fabric runs about 30,000 JPY (300$). However, they have the nicer fabrics as well. I saw a beautiful looking dark grey (slight shine) Loro Piana. Sticker price for that fabric (which includes the cost of making the suit obviously) is 100,000 JPY, however he said he will give me it at a discounted price of 80,000 JPY (800 USD).

Would this be considered appropriately priced or higher/lower than what others on this forum would pay for such a suit. These suits are MTM, however since I basically customize every inch of the jacket and pants, I'm not too sure what the real difference is between bespoke and MTM.

Anyway, just trying to understand if I am getting a good deal on the price or not.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I'm new to buying these name brand fabrics, but since buying a Charles Clayton and VBC, I won't buy anything less. They are just an amazing difference in the lower end fabrics in look and feel. Never did I realize it was all in the fabric.

Anyway, I live in Japan and get my suits from a local tailor shop. The basic cheap fabric runs about 30,000 JPY (300$). However, they have the nicer fabrics as well. I saw a beautiful looking dark grey (slight shine) Loro Piana. Sticker price for that fabric (which includes the cost of making the suit obviously) is 100,000 JPY, however he said he will give me it at a discounted price of 80,000 JPY (800 USD).

Would this be considered appropriately priced or higher/lower than what others on this forum would pay for such a suit. These suits are MTM, however since I basically customize every inch of the jacket and pants, I'm not too sure what the real difference is between bespoke and MTM.

Anyway, just trying to understand if I am getting a good deal on the price or not.
I'm afraid your question really can't be answered in the terms you ask it. They're too many variables that are unknown.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Typically 5 yards to make a suit, 3.5 jacket 1.5 pants. That's $160/yard at the $800 price. I just googled pricing and there is Huddersfield suiting for $90/yd, Loro Piana cashmere for $225/yd and Zegna going for even more so no, he's probably not gouging.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Typically 5 yards to make a suit, 3.5 jacket 1.5 pants. That's $160/yard at the $800 price. I just googled pricing and there is Huddersfield suiting for $90/yd, Loro Piana cashmere for $225/yd and Zegna going for even more so no, he's probably not gouging.
Is he asking about the cost per yard for cloth, or is asking about finished garments? And if so, where? Different markets have different pricing. If specific to the Japanese market the answers will have to be specific to that market.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Is he asking about the cost per yard for cloth, or is asking about finished garments? And if so, where? Different markets have different pricing. If specific to the Japanese market the answers will have to be specific to that market.
He says that's a price for a finished garment. That makes the upcharge for better fabric $500 on a $300 MTM suit. I don't know the market there but I would assume it's not any cheaper to get Italian fabric in Asia than it is in Europe. I personally would not pay that much for a fabric upgrade on a low-end suit but I'm not the OP.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
He says that's a price for a finished garment. That makes the upcharge for better fabric $500 on a $300 MTM suit. I don't know the market there but I would assume it's not any cheaper to get Italian fabric in Asia than it is in Europe. I personally would not pay that much for a fabric upgrade on a low-end suit but I'm not the OP.
Yes, you're right, I should have read it more carefully.

The only thing I have that might be of use, is a couple of bits of information pertaining to Loro Piana: Many years ago I was looking at the cloth available Brooks' shop for their MTM program, and when I asked the tailor about it, an Italian gentleman of considerable skill who had been there for almost 20 years, he tactfully suggested I might wish to select something other than Loro Piana. Said something to the effect that it doesn't hold up.

Then about 8 or so years ago, Will B. on his A Suitable Wardrobe blog mentioned he had a pair of pants made of it actually split. And finally, while it's lovely looking cloth, I'm not sure that for less money better cloth can't be bought.

Might be old information no longer valid, but for WIW, I wanted to pass it along.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Winghus! Even though I didn't really know how to ask the question, this is just the answer I was looking for. Exactly, I'd like to know what the typical cost simply for the fabric is and how much is typically required to make a suit jacket and pants.

So based on your comments above, I'm getting a great deal, right? As you mention, Loro Piana sells online to the retail buyer at 225$/yd. For a average guy like myself (5'10" 165lbs), I assume I require 5 yards (as you mention above). That would put the price at 1125$ just for the fabric (not for the suit construction, right?). In that sense, I'm pay 800$ for both the fabric and making of the suit.

If my understanding is correct, yes, sounds like a deal, and I will be placing my order in the next week or so.

One more question, based on your comment of the markup from 300$. Does that really play a factor? Basically I just assume the shop prices the suit according to the fabric. So not that the quality of the shop and craftsmanship is different, it's just a cheap fabric. I had a few of the entry suits from this shop and they aren't bad. Actually they held up for several years, but the touch and feel of the fabric is quite poor when you compare to these nicer fabrics. So I assume you just pay a lower price (the 300$) because the fabric is super low quality and cheap. However, as far as the suit and options you get, I can customize them the same way. There is one difference though. On the lowest end suits they offer (the 300$ ones) they are made in their factory in China and quality checked by the insanely critical japanese staff that manage the factory workers. For the Charles Clayton one I just bought and paid 700$ -> 600$, they actually make the suit in Japan. The shop manager said the quality is the same, with the only difference between 3 weeks of leadtime versus 4 weeks for the suit. As they don't need to mail things back and forth. But maybe the situation would be different somewhere else. Japanese pride themselves on quality and detail, so I think for the most part, you will find high quality regardless where you go, but the price will change based on the fabric.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Flanderian, I have heard the same thing about Loro Piana. The only thing I have from them is a 100% cashmere sport coat (thrift) and while it feels heavenly, it's hot enough I seldom wear it except Christmas parties. I couldn't tell you how hardy it is based off a few wears a year.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
I’ve heard the exact opposite about LP fabrics so I guess the only thing left is to experience it yourself.

People develop all sorts of biases for and against things; it’s human nature.

I own LP outerwear and my MTM suits from Paul Stuart are made with LP fabric and I’ve not had issues.

Mind you I don’t wear suits daily so take what I say and my opinion with that consideration.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
My impression of LP fabric is all good but I admit I am a sucker for spending money on expensive fabric. Give me Kiton 14 micron or Zegna 14milmil all day long and I am happy. While I don't recommend going to that extreme to others (I think the expense outweighs the benefit) a more modest upgrade is well worth the cost even on a lesser suit. Just feels better...and you will enjoy the suit more because of that.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
What is a normal price for a Chevrolet? From about $13,000 to about $87,000.

LP is a famous name, but they may have less expensive lower quality fabric also.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
Like anything else their is a range in price but I'm quite certain LP wouldn't put their name on low quality fabric.
LP is a top rate mill/merchant. I really am surprised to hear anyone dogging them. I have a bespoke suit from the Royal Wish 170s - simply wonderful fabric. All the top mills have grades of fabric but I agree that I am hard pressed to believe their "cheap" stuff is of poor quality.

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Every piece of LP that I have owned (including LP mainline and others using LP fabric) has been of excellent quality. The only issues that I have had with something LP was in the construction. That was the fault of the tailoring, not the fabric. $800 for a custom made suit using standard LP fabric? Sure, why not?

· Registered
532 Posts
We make clothing with LP (along with most of the other well-known mills), and I've found it to be overall very good. It's got a tad more body than most of the VBC fabrics I've run into - I still prefer some of the SCABAL stuff for the drape (particularly their English milled fabrics), but no knocks against LP.

OP, on spec, this sounds like a fine price (assuming the workmanship of the tailor in question is also satisfactory), though it's hard to be more specific than that without knowing which LP fabric is involved - there are plenty of tiers within such a prolific producer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.