Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased an Isaia (red label) suit and a Luciano Barbera Collection Sartiorale jacket. I noticed both have a loop of heavy thread under the lapel. I have never noticed something like this before. Does anyone know the purpose / significance of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If it's placed beneath and parallel to the lapel buttonhole on the reverse (under) side of the lapel, it's a "stem loop," put there to secure the stem of any flower you might care to wear in said buttonhole.

Such a loop is often taken to be among the marks of a "better" suit. BB Golden Fleece suits have them, for instance, while the less pricey BB suits do not.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It's to hang your sunglasses by when indoors:icon_smile_wink:

No, PJC's got it right, surely, unless it's situated elsewhere. Technically known as a boutonniere loop, it was probably used to secure not the stems but a miniature vial containing them. Nowadays, boutonnieres are constructed so as to be worn on the front of the left lapel, secured from behind with a gigantic florists pin, not inserted into the buttonhole (without the loop, it would fall forward with the flowers' weight). Hence the demise of the loop, and even the working lapel buttonhole, in all but the most retrospective tailoring.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like it PJ. It is interesting to me that it would be on the sportcoat too, as it is rather casual and I would never think to wear a flower on the lapel (not that I would do it with a formal coat either, but I can see that some would).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.