Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting some pants made later this week.

The tailor made it sound like he can pretty much get any material I'm looking for.

I normally prefer a midweight black twill with a small amount of shine for my slacks.

Please let me know if you have a favorite material in this category (brand and model). So if there is any material in this category that you think is "the bomb" then please let me know!

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loro Piana or Holland & Sherry or Zegna all make fabrics in that vein, however, I wouldn't have it made in black. Try a dark, dark navy since it's more versatile.
OK - well I've been exclusively wearing black slacks for a long time.

Why do you think navy is more versatile?

Maybe I'll try navy with pinstripes for my second pair of pants. Is navy with pinstripes OK to wear with slacks and sportshirt (not a suit)?

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Before you start the millionth black suit or black slacks thread please do yourself a favor and do a search.

You will quickly see that there is no more controversial subject on earth except possibly Muslim/Christian religious preferences or Gay sex.

Perry

· Registered
8,536 Posts
OK - well I've been exclusively wearing black slacks for a long time.

Why do you think navy is more versatile?

Maybe I'll try navy with pinstripes for my second pair of pants. Is navy with pinstripes OK to wear with slacks and sportshirt (not a suit)?
I actually prefer black over navy for odd trousers, but I don't really like either. I prefer a dark charcoal grey. Pinstripes should only part of a business suit, not for odd trousers or coats. If you wear pinstripe trousers with just a shirt, it will look like you forgot the rest of your suit. Solids are best for odd trousers. If you want something other than a solid for your trousers, grey or brown plaids work well too. Grey glen plaid trousers look especially good with a navy blazer.

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually prefer black over navy for odd trousers, but I don't really like either. I prefer a dark charcoal grey. Pinstripes should only part of a business suit, not for odd trousers or coats. If you wear pinstripe trousers with just a shirt, it will look like you forgot the rest of your suit. Solids are best for odd trousers. If you want something other than a solid for your trousers, grey or brown plaids work well too. Grey glen plaid trousers look especially good with a navy blazer.
I try to steer away from charcoal grey - I was too overexposed to it in the southeast.

Who else here thinks that slacks without jacket should not be striped but rather only solid or plaid?

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Before you start the millionth black suit or black slacks thread please do yourself a favor and do a search.

You will quickly see that there is no more controversial subject on earth except possibly Muslim/Christian religious preferences or Gay sex.

Perry
This is very wise advice. Why do you want them to "shine" so badly? Does have the effect of being costume.

· Registered
816 Posts
What Matt S said. Pinstripes don't work well for odd trousers and I think you will find that most people here would agree. If you don't want all solids, get some plaid.
I have 1 pair of black trousers that probably get worn about once a month (though they certainly aren't shiny). I find that you can pair a gray or tan sport coat with them well. I also don't care for odd navy trousers.

· Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What Matt S said. Pinstripes don't work well for odd trousers and I think you will find that most people here would agree. If you don't want all solids, get some plaid.
I have 1 pair of black trousers that probably get worn about once a month (though they certainly aren't shiny). I find that you can pair a gray or tan sport coat with them well. I also don't care for odd navy trousers.
What about navy pinstripe slacks if I just wear them with a white alumo triplo shirt?

· Registered
8,536 Posts
What about navy pinstripe slacks if I just wear them with a white alumo triplo shirt?
It will look like you lost your suit coat. The only striped trousers that are appropriate without a suit are the formal ones to wear with a morning coat or a stroller. Solid navy would be better, but I'm also not a fan of navy odd trousers.

· Registered
816 Posts
It doesn't really matter all that much what shirt you pair them with. Pinstripes are made for suits. A majority of my trousers are some sort of shade or pattern of gray or british tan. Mostly gray. I have a few other colors that are in my rotation to mix things up or some that only get worn in certain seasons. No pinstripes though.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd stay away from pinstripes ... I'd suggest something in a green/grey mix like in the below pic would be a versatile color for many shirts and shoes in shades of burgundy/brown and even black.

(Pic from J Press):

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.