Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am looking for a thin soled, sleek looking Dress Shoe like this Giorgio Brutini Cortland https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-U...Mens+Cortland+Medium_Wide+Cap+Toe+Oxford.aspx

I wanted to buy this shoe but upon reading the reviews, I found out that it has quality issues. Are there other brands that are of good quality?

P.S. I have wide feet and would prefer shoes that come in Wide or Extra Wide. Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are several issues to consider with a thin soled shoe. One, it will be glued and, unless it is a very high quality maker, it will come apart well before the tops wear out. I don't know of any high-quality glued shoes, but there may be some out there. Second, you can't repair them if/when they do come apart. Third, you will feel every little bump you tread on through that sole. They will be very uncomfortable for outdoor use.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Hello everyone! I am looking for a thin soled, sleek looking Dress Shoe like this Giorgio Brutini Cortland https://www.famousfootwear.com/en-U...Mens+Cortland+Medium_Wide+Cap+Toe+Oxford.aspx

I wanted to buy this shoe but upon reading the reviews, I found out that it has quality issues. Are there other brands that are not that expensive but of good quality?

P.S. I have wide feet and would prefer shoes that come in Wide or Extra Wide. Thanks.
Sorry if this is too personal, but may I ask how much you weigh?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several issues to consider with a thin soled shoe. One, it will be glued and, unless it is a very high quality maker, it will come apart well before the tops wear out. I don't know of any high-quality glued shoes, but there may be some out there. Second, you can't repair them if/when they do come apart. Third, you will feel every little bump you tread on through that sole. They will be very uncomfortable for outdoor use.
Yes sir, I am aware of that. I won't be wearing this shoe frequently, maybe once a month or so, only for special occasions.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Around 240 lbs.
Most thin soled shoes aren't going to give you the type of support you need.

A proper thin soled shoe will be constructed using something called Bologna construction. This type of construction, though it produces a sleek profile, will also lack support compared to a Blake or Goodyear constructed shoe.

I'm afraid you'll be asking for foot problems. It's your call, I'm just giving my two cents.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
So you want high quality shoes that can support a man of 240 lbs, but you want them cheap. Think you need to reassess your requirements.

Why do you want thin soles?
How much do you think a good quality pair of shoes costs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most thin soled shoes aren't going to give you the type of support you need.

A proper thin soled shoe will be constructed using something called Bologna construction. This type of construction, though it produces a sleek profile, will also lack support compared to a Blake or Goodyear constructed shoe.

I'm afraid you'll be asking for foot problems. It's your call, I'm just giving my two cents.
I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want a new shoe I think Ace Marks could be a good choice. They are fairly cheap at $195 on their kickstarter page. Being Italian made with a blake rapid stitch, I think, they should have a thinner sole than goodyear welted American or English shoes. The only issue is that they only offer D and E sizes.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/acemarks/handcrafted-dress-shoes-reinvented-for-the-modern
https://www.acemarks.com/mens-shoes...toe-oxford-shoes/cap-toe-oxford-black-antique
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you want high quality shoes that can support a man of 240 lbs, but you want them cheap. Think you need to reassess your requirements.

Why do you want thin soles?
How much do you think a good quality pair of shoes costs?
Not really cheap, more like reasonable price. I have an AE Park Avenue, but the sole protrudes quite a bit. I like the look of a shoe with thin soles which is cut close to the body.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Not really cheap, more like reasonable price. I have an AE Park Avenue, but the sole protrudes quite a bit. I like the look of a shoe with thin soles which is cut close to the body.
You may want to consider some English made shoes. I know the protrusion you're talking about. You can have a good, supportive shoe without the clunky sole.

Here's an example from Crockett & Jones:

https://www.crockettandjones.com/hallam-darkbrown-calf/

·
Registered
384 Posts
From C&J there's also the Connaught, the Newgate, the Dorset and the Radstock. On a purely subjective level I find all of those rather better looking than the Hallam, but that's from someone who loathes and detests square toes.

At more affordable prices there's the Stockholm and the Cheam by Sanders, from the Diplomat and Ambassador lines respectively. Both on standard single leather soles (7mm), so not exceedingly thin, but frankly about as thin as you ought to consider unless stability and durability are factors you prefer to actively avoid.

Otherwise you'll find plenty options from the likes of Barker, Loake and others at prices from ~£250 downwards.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
From C&J there's also the Connaught, the Newgate, the Dorset and the Radstock. On a purely subjective level I find all of those rather better looking than the Hallam, but that's from someone who loathes and detests square toes.

At more affordable prices there's the Stockholm and the Cheam by Sanders, from the Diplomat and Ambassador lines respectively. Both on standard single leather soles (7mm), so not exceedingly thin, but frankly about as thin as you ought to consider unless stability and durability are factors you prefer to actively avoid.

Otherwise you'll find plenty options from the likes of Barker, Loake and others at prices from ~£250 downwards.
Fine examples indeed. I guess my point was more to highlight the relatively sleek sole. Though Goodyear welted, it does not protrude quite like the Allen Edmonds.

Regarding the Hallam itself, it does have a bit of a squarer toe than it's peers, but still within an acceptable range for my tastes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thank you. Do the Sanders come in Wide?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In a thread that started with Ed using an $80 dollar shoe as his reference point, not sure how we can get to C&J shoes that cost $600 or more.
Not so much on the price but rather on the looks. I was quite pleased to see a shoe design that I liked at that price, but after reading some reviews, I found out it has quality issues that cannot be ignored.

I have AEs in Black and Brown (since they come in Wide and Extra Wide), but they are on the clunky side. If I can find a sleek looking shoe at no more than $400, then good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.