Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question before the boring explanation. I bought shoes in the 0 last, and they pinch a bit. I'm wondering if I should go down a width if I exchange the shoes for a half size larger.

I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, and I had an opportunity to finally try on a few AE shoes. I had my feet measured by them, and was told I was pretty much exactly a 9 in length. If anything on width, I tend slightly narrow on the right foot. I only tried on 9Ds in their retail store, but I found a few discount places where I tried on a few sizes. I found that the 5 last fit well. The 0 last seemed good also. The 8 last seemed to crimp my little toes a bit. In fact, I found the old 4 last and the 3 last to have a slight pinching on the little toe as well in the 9D.

Well, with the shoebuy.com coupon posted here, I decided to buy my first real shoes. I went with the Park Avenue (5 last) and the Evanston (0 last) in 9D.

The order arrived today, and I tried the shoes on after work. The Park Avenue still feels great. It's near perfect in fit. The Evanston not so much. My left foot is a bit broader than my right, and my small toe on the left side feels pinched. It's almost like the shoe isn't long enough just in that one spot. Just sitting with the shoe on for 10 minutes was uncomfortable. Standing and walking any distance is out of the question.

Shoebuy offers easy exchanges, and I was wondering what the suggestions would be here. I'll be perfectly honest and say I'm ignorant about the intricacies of shoe fit. Moving up to a 9.5 will take care of the pinching. I didn't have any pinching when I tried on a 9.5Din the 3 or 4 last. What I don't know about is if I should keep the width as a D or try a C when I exchange the shoes. My general problem with shoes is that the heel tends to slip, but I've not had the problem with any of the Allen-Edmond shoes I've tried on.

I've searched for and read the threads I could find concerning the 0 last. I understand it's a bit narrow in the toe box, but since I'm having an issue with many of their lasts in the 9D, I'm wondering if AE run just a bit smaller than standard sizes?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't think sizing up is a good idea.

If the last doesn't work, it doesn't work. I have four pairs of AEs in four different lasts and they are all the same size.

I've tried going down a size and up a width to get the number 8 last to work and it still didn't work for me. It all depends on how your feet are shaped. Not every last will work for everyone.

I don't think AEs run small. In fact, I go down a half size in AEs and all dress shoes compared to my sneakers and running shoes. I guess that means that AEs are sized like most decent dress shoes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cvac, could you please explain what is wrong with going up a half size? Basically, I've operated under the premise that if the shoe feels snug yet comfortable, it's probably correct. That said, I've been buying sneakers and cheap dress shoes up until now.

EDIT. I've also been told by AE salespeople that their shoes basically fit the same across all the lasts. I'd be sad if I could only buy the park avenues from them. I've found no less than 4 lasts which fit odd the same manner on my feet. Is it possible that I don't have the correct size? I've had three stores measure me in the last 3 months or so. All came back 9, but I even had another brand (Johnston Murphy) fit too tight on my left foot's small toe. The JM 9.5D felt good in their Melton. That salesman didn't see any problem moving up in size, but he wasbl0probably looking to make a sale.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
First of all, return the Evanstons.

The shoe does not fit. Period.

Now, going up a size is not a problem if it does not move the ball off the foot back from the point where the shoe is the widest. Having a bit of extra toe room is not an issue if the shoe flexes properly with your foot (at the point where both are at their widest).

I would get the shoe a 1/2 size up, no width change, and see how if fits. Maybe you can still salvage "0" last.

·
Registered
970 Posts
hreljan is right. You have to watch where the ball of the foot is. One thing about extra length: too much and you'll notice the "difference" in a bad way when walking around town. The shoes will feel awkward and unnatural. I would not go with advice from a J&M salesman. Over the summer I tried on a pair of bucks that clearly did not fit and the salesman was very insistent. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just trying to make a sale.

Ultimately you have to judge what fits right. I think your main problem here is that you have oddly shaped feet - one foot wider than the other. I wonder if AE could allow you to purchase one shoe slightly wider than the other and if that would solve your problem. They might allow this but if they did you would probably have to buy directly from them without the shoebuy discount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.