Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find any French cuff shirts that are slim enough for me. I wear a 15.5/33 shirt but have a 39" chest and 31" waist. That means the shirt needs to be about 20.5-21" wide under the arm pit and taper significantly from there. I have found a few RTW shirts that are very close, but none with French cuffs. Even the Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts that I've seen recommended here are 22" wide in the chest.

Another option is to purchase shirts that need to be tailored and take another shirt that fits correctly for the tailor to match. Is there a maximum amount that a tailor can reduce the chest width? For example, the seller of this shirt says that the width is 23" under the arm pits. The sleeve openings also look large. Is this possible to correct?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am a similar size and I agree that the CT slim fit is not really slim (they admit as much though). Thomas Pink's slim fit are actually much more slim-cut in my opinion, although I'm not a huge fan of Pink. I have also had luck with certain Hugo Boss shirts - I believe they are the "Enzo" model. I'm still on the quest for the "perfect" shirt for me, but have come to realize that I will probably have to go bespoke.

Other than that, I actually fit quite well into slim "Arrow" brand shirts from Kohls, which can usually be had on sale for something like $25 or less. They are almost complete crap, but they fit well and I can beat the hell out of them. Fine for use under a v-neck sweater.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a similar size and I agree that the CT slim fit is not really slim (they admit as much though). Thomas Pink's slim fit are actually much more slim-cut in my opinion, although I'm not a huge fan of Pink. I have also had luck with certain Hugo Boss shirts - I believe they are the "Enzo" model. I'm still on the quest for the "perfect" shirt for me, but have come to realize that I will probably have to go bespoke.
Hugo Boss slim fit is pretty close for me. I'm ordering a couple to possibly use as templates for shirts that need tailoring.

I forgot to mention my price range. I'm hoping to spend under $100 per shirt total.

This sounds like a fair price. The feedback is all positive and all in Italian. The web site shows many options.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not a bad price for MTM. :icon_smile:

How well do you think the JAB shirts would serve your needs?
Hard to tell about the JAB without seeing them in person. The web site is a little vague about the actually sizing. I don't see specific chest measurements. Maybe I'll check the local store to see if they have any in stock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I buy Polo Custom Fit or RL Purple Label and have them taken in. I can wear RL Black Label and Corneliani off the rack though I'm a 33 waist so you may need to take them in a bit. I've had luck with some Brioni (though some of them are huge). Other than that, apart from the high fashon brands like Prada, D&G, most shirts seem to be made for the American diet and look absurd.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I buy Polo Custom Fit or RL Purple Label and have them taken in. I can wear RL Black Label and Corneliani off the rack though I'm a 33 waist so you may need to take them in a bit. I've had luck with some Brioni (though some of them are huge). Other than that, apart from the high fashon brands like Prada, D&G, most shirts seem to be made for the American diet and look absurd.
I have a Dolce&Gabbana shirt (not D&G) that I got for about $80 at Marshalls. It is labeled as a 15 3/4 and barely fits me - THAT is a slim shirt. The collar is pretty big on it, but it has neither internal nor pockets for external bones, so I have to iron the hell out of it. Never seen any Dolce shirts in French cuffs though (at least none on sale).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Dolce&Gabbana shirt (not D&G) that I got for about $80 at Marshalls. It is labeled as a 15 3/4 and barely fits me - THAT is a slim shirt. The collar is pretty big on it, but it has neither internal nor pockets for external bones, so I have to iron the hell out of it. Never seen any Dolce shirts in French cuffs though (at least none on sale).
I bought that same shirt at Marshalls; I couldn't wear it since it was so slim.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have two Dolce&Gabbana shirts. One has single cuffs, the other has double buttons.

The single cuff shirt had to be ordered - the one they had in my size at the Saks in Atlanta only had one buttonhole on one of the cuffs, and I stood there for quite some time trying to figure out how it was meant to be worn.

I wear a 17 in most dress shirts, but in Dolce&Gabbana a 17 1/2 fits; a 17 is tight across the chest but not at the waist.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.