Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this on the Women's forum a minute ago. A lady friend is looking for special order shoes:

My ex-girlfriend has been looking for black work flats for quite some time. I'd say going back well over a year - it's starting to become a major issue. She contends that it is impossible to find a "utility" black flat for a reasonable some - or even an unreasonable sum for that matter. This morning I suggested that she consider special ordering some. Where should she look to do this?

We don't want a full bespoke shoe - just something that is very well made and durable. The object of special ordering in this case would center on the detailing of the shoe rather than the sizing.

I don't think she would be open to spending more than $300 or so.

I appreciate your help...

·
Registered
622 Posts
C&J offer a ladies range.

Strangely, the two pairs my wife has are not in the collection above. I have also seen many more style in the Jermyn St. & Burlington Arcade stores.

A good number of the ladies shoes were included in the summer sale this year. I managed to get my wife a balmoral boot for casual wear for around the price you mentioned.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When my girlfriend and I were in Hong Kong last year, she had a pair of shoes made at a store in TST called Shoeman Lao. They were black patent leather pumps, and she between 200-300USD for them.

The store was in the shopping arcade below one of the hotels in TST. Sorry, I forget which one.

She's very happy with the shoes. I don't know if you have to go to the store to buy shoes, or if they will do orders via mail.

That's all I got...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
When you say MTO it is hard to find such a thing for women for $300 or less. Some of the designer such as Ferragamo, Prada, dolce & Gabbana; Christian Lubitin do offer a MTO opportunity during the early season. I am sure you would pay close to $750 for such a shoe. or more. What about Todds? They make a good shoe and if you want a flat I think they would be fine. My GF has purchased flats that look like Ballet shoes from many of the designers. Miu miu, lanvin, prada, etc. they sell for $395-$600. retail

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
The problem with the women's shoes produced by most manufacturers who primarily make men's shoes is that they're usually just reduced-size versions of men's patterns. That's fine for women who are looking for penny loafers or Chelsea boots, but it doesn't work so well for women who want more traditional women's patterns.

I have seen samples of traditional women's patterns from Gravati -- pumps, I think, although I would imagine that they would have some flats. Gravati does do special orders for their men's shoes, but I don't know if they do for women's shoes. One person in the business not affiliated with Gravati that I talked to thought that the women's shoes probably were not made in the Gravati factory, so it might be that policies are different for women's shoes. You might want to contact a Gravati women's retailer to see -- I think that Bergdorf Goodman carries some Gravati women's models, but I don't know of any other retailers in the US.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
In London Selve in Jermyn Street would be an option (though at the top end of your budget). However the lady concerned would have to visit for a fitting session. Several flat models are available for customisation:

Chris.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Any oppurtunity to order MTM from one of the lady's makers will be so expensive you might as well order a bespoke shoe. Many bespoke makers can make quite feminine bespoke shoes - and not just petite versions of men's shoes. The best I have seen have come from the Viennese makers:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=84861

The holzgenagelt (wood pegged) technique allows them to trim the sole very closely while still having all of the durability of a welted shoe:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ladies Shoes Pour Vous

Hi Louche,

It is ok. The members of the AAF are not judgmental.

We know that you really want those ladies flats for yourself. :icon_smile_wink:

That said, I have no idea where you can get a sensible and traditional women's pump in a men's size 11.5eee.

Just felt like being silly. Thanks for backing up my post on bit loafers yesterday.

Best,

Jonathan

I posted this on the Women's forum a minute ago. A lady friend is looking for special order shoes:

My ex-girlfriend has been looking for black work flats for quite some time. I'd say going back well over a year - it's starting to become a major issue. She contends that it is impossible to find a "utility" black flat for a reasonable some - or even an unreasonable sum for that matter. This morning I suggested that she consider special ordering some. Where should she look to do this?

We don't want a full bespoke shoe - just something that is very well made and durable. The object of special ordering in this case would center on the detailing of the shoe rather than the sizing.

I don't think she would be open to spending more than $300 or so.

I appreciate your help...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seriously

Hi Louche,

Actually, I do have real advice on the ladies' flat for you. My mother has worn a style of Ferragamo flat as long as I can remember and I am sure it comes in black. It is called the "bow flat" or look for some description along those lines. It is a classic Ferragamo style with a grosgrain, leather, or suede bow on the front of the shoe. My mother only wears comfortable, well-made shoes and she swears by these. So does our family shoemaker, a man born in Italy who thinks that Ferragamo women's shoes are still well-constructed.

Up until the Euro went strong against the dollar and luxury goods prices skyrocketed, the shoes were a relative bargain too.

I do hope this helps.

Best,

Jonathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.