Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this site as well as buying suit's. I am from Canada and I will soon be going over to Buffalo to look for some good quality suit's at a good price ($300 - $500 range). Now I'm not sure what stores I should visit. I'm looking for a designer name brand suit (ex. Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc). Now the type of color of suit's I am looking for can be something along the lines of these https://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/gandolfiniDM0705_468x535.jpg and https://www.menswearhouse.com/shop/...298450_-1_900004104_____?cm_vc=RecentlyViewed . Now I heard of Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls. Is this mall any good? Or should I visit a independent suit store? Let me know your opinion. Thanks!!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I can't comment regarding the shopping there (except that O'Connells is "Trad Heaven" for our forum members). But, if you're new to buying suits then tan should not be the first colour. Start with the basics, a mid-grey to charcoal. You also shouldn't be guided by name brand, but by fit.

·
Registered
27,638 Posts
I can't comment regarding the shopping there (except that O'Connells is "Trad Heaven" for our forum members). But, if you're new to buying suits then tan should not be the first colour. Start with the basics, a mid-grey to charcoal. You also shouldn't be guided by name brand, but by fit.
+1.

O'Connell's has nice stuff! But they're beyond your price range, and based on the examples you offered, are likely dissimilar to your tastes.

https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php?cat=256

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The thing I forgot to add is I already have 3 suits. One is a black pin strip, a shiny dark gray, and a charcoal pin strip. These were bought at Moores (A Canadian version of Men's Warehouse). They are decent quality but I want to find 2 different types of good quality suits like the ones I listed above. They are for special occasions like weddings, etc so they will only be worn a few times out of the year.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Great, because you have an opportunity for two versatile suits in your collection -- colours that should have been your starting point. A solid grey (not shiny, you're not a Martian last I checked) and a solid navy will work well for weddings, the inevitable funeral, etc. Trust me on this.

Tan has summer connotations and even then it is hard to find things that will look good with it. James Gandolfini certainly isn't doing it favours with that shirt, tie and pocket square. It should be a suit you get only when you master the basics.

·
Banned
3,767 Posts
Black suits and shiny suits do not tend to get a lot of appreciation around here, and in my view for good reason.

The first picture looks okay for a summer suit (i.e. in linen, tropical wool, fresco, etc.). The second picture looks tacky, I'm afraid. Light grey is difficult to execute well.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
^ This.

·
Banned
3,767 Posts
All of you guys raise some good points. In terms of fabrics and construction what should I look for?
The cloth choices will depend very much on the purpose for the suits, the climate, etc. But as others have suggested a plain navy and a plain or semi-solid dark or mid-grey provide enormous versatility. They can be livened up with interesting shirt and tie choices, or toned down for more sober occasions. In my experience people often start out in this hobby by choosing exciting or 'distinctive' options for suits. This is not generally a good idea, unless you have tremendous inherent taste and a large budget.

This article is a good starting point: https://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2006/11/suitable-wardrobe.html

·
Banned
4,193 Posts
I recommend reading through this thread:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?117520-Hierarchy-of-sub-500-suits

One takeaway is that it might be worth your while to find out about the Suiting Essentials program at Brooks Brothers. There are sometimes two for $X deals or other sales that make it worth your while. The suits are good, and you have the benefit of being able to get fitted. The website only offers the "regent" fit for Suiting Essentials, but if you go to the store, they can order it made in any of their fits. There's also a MTO element with regard to various details, and a swatch book with different options. If you can swing it, it's possibly the best value out there.

My other two big favorites are on-line deals, the Hickey Freemen suits at Sierra Trading Post and Jack Victor suits from the same source. With STP's deal flier coupons, the HF suits go for under $500, the JV for under $400. JV is Canadian, so maybe you can find a local retailer.

·
Banned
3,767 Posts
That article was a good read! What would you think about this color of a blue suit?
More of a summery mid-blue, than a navy staple.

Peak lapels on single breasted lounge suits have fashion-forward connotations (despite the fact that they used to be associated with formality). Avoid the white stitching as well - affected, and instantly marks the suit out as "that suit" in your wardrobe.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Another vote here for plain navy and plain grey (medium/dark), 2-button, 100% wool suits. For fit purposes, make sure your shoulders fit perfectly off the rack. After that, let the tailor hem the pants and sleeves as required. If you post some photos of you trying on various suits, I'm sure many members of this forum would offer you same-day feedback as to how they fit/look on you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
While it pays to cross the border to buy shoes, you are no better off going across the border to buy a suit in the U.S. in my opinion. There are a lot of suits that are made in Canada, and their prices in the U.S. are not significantly different than if you buy them in Canada. If you ever have a problem with the suit, it is also a hassle.

I am not a fan of Moore's. The whole setup seems low class. I've walked in and looked at the suits and didn't like the patterns they sell. The suits look like they are throwaways after a couple of dry cleanings and they have a poor feel to them.

If you are not in a hurry, wait for a Bay Days sale where suits go up to 40% off. Look for the ones that have a made in Canada label. They will likely be made by Jack Victor or S. Cohen, both out of Montreal. Also check out one of the bigger Tip Top Tailor stores. Their upper end private label is actually fairly good quality. When it's on sale, they are a fair value for money for a 100% wool fused suit.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Moores is okay when you've got several suits and need to flesh out a business wardrobe. Often (here at least) they have 2/400 sales.

I would not heistate to pull the trigger on a 300 dollar suit at Moores. I have suits from there that have lasted 5 years (of course, I rarely wear suits anymore except when I need to dress up for a special day at work, et al). I would also consider going on Ebay to buy a NWT suit that's of the same branding but 100 dollars.

I doubt you're at the level where Harry Rosen is an option. As mentioned consider Tip Top and HBC. If you can get to Montreal once in a while, the Eatons Center and La Baie are good. I've got topcoats which cost 250+ at Tip Top for less than 100 at some stores in the Eatons Center. In Calgary, Chinook Center is also a good choice. I have an RW&Co overcoat (heavy tweed) bought at 75% off. Just because it's in a mall, doesn't mean it's worth less as a practical item of wear.

Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am not a fan of Moore's. The whole setup seems low class. I've walked in and looked at the suits and didn't like the patterns they sell. The suits look like they are throwaways after a couple of dry cleanings and they have a poor feel to them.
^^ This. I worked at Grafton's for a while, back when it was still in operation (consequently bought by Tip Top, as was Jack Fraser). When you do have an opportunity to see well made suits, I think you will agree that Moore's suits are quite poor quality. Tip Top's private label is Stonehouse and is reasonable on sale, but at $600 there are better options in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have looked at O'Connell's website and they have some pretty good stuff. On my trip out to Buffalo I will most defiantly check them out. Also I checked out Tip Top and they do have some good stuff on sale but it's not available in my size which is a bummer!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
You'll defiantly check them out? Aren't you a little rebel, going against our wishes to a place we like. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.