Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another "looking for a fragrance" thread. :icon_smile: I enjoy my current fragrance (Burberry Touch), but it's a bit "bright" for me. I'd like to look for something darker, possibly musky or woody. Polo Black is reasonably close to what I am looking for, but am wondering what other options are out there. Other fragrances I have liked are Curves and Guess Suede; and as much as I dislike Guess as a brand I have to admit that they have some nice fragrances.

Other suggestions?

Also, one other issue is that I have somewhat sensitive sinuses, and some colognes irritate them quite a bit. I'm wondering if I should be looking at oil-based fragrances rather than alcohol-based fragrances--I can't help but think the alcohol base might be the root of the problem.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Try dabbing some straight rubbing alcohol on your arm. If it causes a problem, then I think you can say that the alc. might be the culprit. However, since the alc. in all perfumes evaporates fairly quickly, I'd be more inclined to think it is one of the perfume ingredients. Most perfumes are loaded with chemicals, so it's possible that your sinuses don't agree with one or more of them.

As for a dark, subtle cologne, these might fit the bill based on my limited experience.

Domenico Caraceni - 1913

https://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=40600&section=1

Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr. Taylors

Dunhill - Dunhill for Men

https://www.beautyencounter.com/4035773512500.html?synertech

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Musky

My friend
Depends on what you want to pay.
When I hear dark, yet subtle. I think, for a cheap look at a cologne. Kiehls own musk.
Only 40 bucks.
On the other "Serge Lutens" has a musk, only able to get at his place. Very expensive. You may find at Neiman Marcus, or Aedes for a great online store.
When I hear Burberry I think of Polo as well.
There are a lot of designer fragrances out there that meet this. Another would be Dunhill , Chanel their Allure. Also, others that are nice along this line are Guerlain.
All probably are synthetics in them.
I recently bought a cologne from Lorenzo Villoressi.
I got the Uomo, very nice not what you are looking for.
I recommend looking into L Occitane. They are cheap, and made with the real deal. Not synthetic. I got the Lavender. It is the best raw lavender I have had. 45 bucks. A great deal my friend.
If price not a big deal, look at L Artisan Parfumer. Expensive. Santa Maria Novella and so on, so on.
Also, Geo Trumper , Truffit and Hill, Penhalgion. All British. I have used the Penhalgion, for the longest time.
Not my thing any more.
Floris, recommend their Vetiver. Great scent, lasts.

Go to Aedes in NY. Google it. They offer a lot. You can go through each one.
They have many more such a Dyptique and on and on.
Look at the cheap stuff as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
970 Posts
DukeGrad is onto something with the L'Occitane recommendation. I also like their lavender scent, "L'Occitan" - it has a peppery smell with the lavender giving it kind of a "dark" vibe. Even better for you might be their "Eau de Baux" scent, which definitely has a dark feel - it's an oriental/incense based scent. Although I don't doubt that they use natural ingredients in their colognes, there is no way they are 100% natural. They certainly don't smell cheap and synthetic though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a follow-up, I settled on the L'Occitane Eau des Baux; so special thanks to for that recommendation. It's a really nice scent, with an incense base, and one reviewer described it as "ambery"; I would describe it as a warm scent more than a dark one. It's also moderately unisex, and not as "masculine", but that's fine by me.

The key is that I both really like the scent and it plays well with my sinuses, which don't seem to be bothered. I do think the more natural ingredients help; I realize L'Occitane isn't 100% natural, but the fewer chemicals mean less trouble for my sensitive nose. It's mild and subtle enough that I can wear it daily, which is really nice.

I also like the L'Occitane scent, and may add that to my cabinet as well; it's a stronger scent, and I found the pepper tones to be a bit powerful. I don't think I could tolerate it daily, but I may mix it in on occasion, as I think it makes a better evening scent.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
amber

Glad you got to see the L Occitane. My son turned me on to this place.
Nice lotions as well.
Again, if ever a Lavendar fan, smell the lavendar. Very raw

Serge Luten and L Artisan Parfumer do a very nice, freaking expensive amber. Raw amber as well, if this makes sense.

For the cheap price, really 40 bucks you can not go wrong with the L Occitant

Nice day
Valentines? Up early, going on my bike ride. I may wake the bride up and put on some MUSK!!!

Nice day my friends

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I like Burberry Brit, its a nice dark musky fragrance for the fall and winter. I always seem to reach for it when its overcast and rainy outside. My wife doesn't quite get why I go for it when its cloudy and rainy and my Aqua di Gio when its nice outside, just seems to make sense to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.