Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tan and white "spectator" shoe for the summer. I have used quotation marks because I'm not exactly sure whether spectator refers to any shoe that has white and another color (or just two different colors) or whether it refers to a unique style.

I'd like to have this shoe for wear with summer linen suits and odd jacket/trousers. What I had in mind was one with tan leather and white or cream cloth insets. I thought that Allen Edmunds made something like this, but now I can't find it.

The shoe can certainly be a loafer, but also a blucher or oxford.

In terms of price range, I'm pretty flexible. I have mostly c & J shoes (via plal), and don't really want to go past that in price range if possible. Nevertheless, to get what I want, I'll consider more than that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Maus & Hoffman had some Martin Dingman penny spectators exactly like you describe-and Andy has a thread with 10%-off link.

Sierra Trading Post had the same shoe a while back; don't know if they still do or what the sizes available are.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Spectator Shoes: The Mark of The Bounder?

Spectator, or co-respondent, shoes are one of the quintessential summer classics and are distinguished by their two-tone color scheme. They add an element of gaiety, smartness, and elegance to a gentleman's wardrobe. They are a weekend, or casual, shoe mainly for the summer season, good for daytime spectator sports and less formal (but not too informal) daytime social events. I recommend them for festive social events, strolling down the boulevard, and for a nighttime pub-crawl in your most daring classic style outfit. The golf shoe versions are particularly good excuse to take up golf.

They are usually dark with a light contrast but sometimes with a different dark shade. Typically, they are bluchers but they can be loafers. If you prefer the styling to be "mild", select something from the USA or England. If you prefer "wild" then look for offerings from France or Italy. Because spectator shoes are a classic style of moderately casual level of dressiness, be sure to keep the other garments consistent with this and not mix, for instance, classic style with fashion forward.

In the UK, some observers may look askance, feeling that co-respondent shoes are the mark of the bounder or the cad. However, they do not have this baggage in the USA.

Polishing them can be tricky. If they are all leather, then neutral polish should be OK. Otherwise, if the light colored sections are canvas or linen possibly some other forum members can suggest how this might be approached...

Just be careful where you wear it, this look is not for business or business social -- unless you own the company or are interested in a new career path.

I seem to recall that BB had some nice ones a few summers back…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.