Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that I hardly wear any black on a casual day to day basis because I do not have shoes that I really like in black for day to day.

Can anyone suggest any black suede lace up shoes in an oxford, wingtop or desert boot (chukka)? I am looking for something with a thinner sole that does not stick out for a sleeker look.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I find that I hardly wear any black on a casual day to day basis because I do not have shoes that I really like in black for day to day.
Sounds like your lack of black shoes is doing you a favor! ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not into the barker black shoes, seems they might have a nice shoe and then you look close and see a skull on the front. not for me.
when i was on bond street in england, they had a few shops that had beautiful suede black wingtips. church's was one of the shops but at the time i did not feel like shelling out my USD vs the GBP on a 1.8 to 1 conversion rate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The easiest way to get what you want would be to buy brown suede and have it dyed black at a good shoe repair. However, the suede dyes are slightly transparent, so best to start with a dark color shoe.

I have (discontinued) brown suede McClains and Delrays (the latter available in some sizes from Grapevinehill on the web, the former maybe from Allen-Edmonds at the factory Shoebank).

Searching the Allen-Edmonds site for suede will turn up two Chukka boots plus two wingtips in brown suede. Especially if you intend to have them dyed, try to buy seconds from the Shoebank, 262-284-7158.

Zappos and Shoemart have several other choices, though few in black.

SRW

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought the black suede Shipton that neskerdoo mentioned earlier and quite like them as an alternate to the calf skin oxfords and brogues I normally wear. Note these shipton's are on sale!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Not for Americans. Shipton doesn't do discounts on sales to America. :(

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
What makes you think that's a sale price? IIRC, Shipton has historically had 3 ranges/grades of shoes, with 3 corresponding price tiers. There are numerous shoes on their site at the same price as the shoe in question. Besides, they're pretty unequivocal about the sales-to-Americans thing:

https://www.shipton-usa.com/special-offers-clearance-items-1653-0.html

In light of that, I think it's pretty clear that the shoes are just from their bottom range. Might still represent good value, especially since suede shoes tend to have a shorter life than whole-grain calf.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cuffdaddy, I think you are right. I assumed the price in red was a sale price, but after reading the site's explanation of non-US sale prices agree it is just "their Price".
In thinking back, I beleive this is the same amount I paid for these Larks in 2008.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
ferry, have you been pleased with them? I've never ordered from S&H, but have been tempted (particularly by their many suede offerings, for the reasons above). Any insight you could offer on the product would be welcome.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cuffdaddy-
I have three pairs of S&H shoes I have bought over the last couple of years:
The suede Larks we discussed, the Burford monks in black and my favorite the Whole Cut Westminster in Chestnut.
At under $400 I think they are a good deal.
While they are a little more expensive then the AEs, I think they have more style. Also, I was drawn to them when I tried on a pair in London and found that their 13.5 c size fit my american 14 medium width perfectly!
I plan to picked up another pair of suede boots from either S&H or our Richmond home town favorite Rider Boots in early 2010.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.