Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a contemporary flecked sports coat, preferably dark and normally cut. I'm a 42R.

I used to collect and wear clothes from the 1940s. I'm a bit more picky these days and, while it's harder to find great vintage from that era, also the material used for sport coats back then is a little too heavy for my tastes now.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find these being sold online?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Bookster has a collection. You might also check UK ready to wear merchants. Our UK members may have specific suggestions.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I like flecked jackets too. I have a nice Tallia from about 1998 (USA made, not like the stuff today) as well as a vintage piece. These are TOUGH to find. There is an ISAIA at NM for $2,495.00 this season, but I find that price absurd. Even at 50% off (which it's not) I see no value in that purchase. I did some HSM ones at Macy's last night. Not bad at all and a good price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
arkisher, thanks for the links but none of them are the type of flecks I'm looking for.

peterc, yes, I've got a couple vintage pieces as well. But the material is heavy. I'm looking for an updated look. BUT not at $2.5K or even half that. Sheesh. Thx.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You are probably going to have to go custom then. It is funny to me how all of the items I have which are either the oldest, or the most retro looking, are all the items that I receive the most compliments on. One would think that retailers would get it..at least at some point. But that does not seem to be the case.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
It is funny to me how all of the items I have which are either the oldest, or the most retro looking, are all the items that I receive the most compliments on.
My experience also. Of course, if one is dressed as everyone else, why would one expect compliments?

One would think that retailers would get it..at least at some point. But that does not seem to be the case.
Retailers are not in the business of selling compliments. They stay in business by understanding that most men just want to dress like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My experience also. Of course, if one is dressed as everyone else, why would one expect compliments?
A wise observation. I had not thought of this in these terms.

Retailers are not in the business of selling compliments. They stay in business by understanding that most men just want to dress like everyone else.
Of course you are correct and this explains why everyone's definition of excellent these days seems to involve mentioning either Brioni, Kiton or Isaia. However, as many here know, when one is abroad, one can still find things that suit own's own personal taste, regardless of mass marketing and tastes. I think it is very cool that one can still walk into Phist in Paris and get a pair of amazing forward pleated khaki's. Then there's Cifonelli - my best fitting suit purchaes.

Saks did carry Cifonelli and Emma Willis at one point. They abandoned both. Here in SF, Saks does now carry Breuer shirts. Wonder how long that will last?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.