Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, it is official. I have been diagnosed with the dreaded longwing fever. It all started when I bought a pair if NOS hanover shell longwings sometime back, and my condition has been worsening ever since. Symptoms included great longing for the longwings, irresistible urge to look at longwings posted in the daily footwear thread, and a insane urge to buy shell longwings at full retail prices as soon as my paychecks came by. Other clues to the diagnosis inclued dreaming about owning shell longwings in all 4 colors and imagining wearing longwings only each day of the week.

I am also happy to announce that I have taken the first steps towards my cure - I just put my order in for a pair of suede longwings (brown suede, commando sole) from AoC. Why suede? Well, I don't have an alden suede shoe and spring/summer is coming up ... In the coming months, I will add a pair #8 and will be keeping my eyes open for the polo brown shell darlton wingtips. Once I have these two shoes, my longwing fever will be full cured. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

btw, these are the shoes I am getting:

Anyone else with a recent documented case of longwing fever like me?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have "I wish I had the money to have 'Longwing Fever', fever"

I am currently waiting and hoping to find a sale of calf skin AE MacNeils. If anyone knows of any discounts or places to check I would be most grateful for the help.

Yes, it is official. I have been diagnosed with the dreaded longwing fever. It all started when I bought a pair if NOS hanover shell longwings sometime back, and my condition has been worsening ever since. Symptoms included great longing for the longwings, irresistible urge to look at longwings posted in the daily footwear thread, and a insane urge to buy shell longwings at full retail prices as soon as my paychecks came by. Other clues to the diagnosis inclued dreaming about owning shell longwings in all 4 colors and imagining wearing longwings only each day of the week.

I am also happy to announce that I have taken the first steps towards my cure - I just put my order in for a pair of suede longwings (brown suede, commando sole) from AoC. Why suede? Well, I don't have an alden suede shoe and spring/summer is coming up ... In the coming months, I will add a pair #8 and will be keeping my eyes open for the polo brown shell darlton wingtips. Once I have these two shoes, my longwing fever will be full cured. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yep! I have black, #8, and brown calf, and am waiting patiently for the same Alden of Carmel offering you are. Plus, am hoping a little something in whiskey might be coming at the end of the week. Cigar and revello seem to be the really hard ones.

The LHS, PTB, and LW rule in my book!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have "I wish I had the money to have 'Longwing Fever', fever"

I am currently waiting and hoping to find a sale of calf skin AE MacNeils. If anyone knows of any discounts or places to check I would be most grateful for the help.
I sent you a PM.

Yep! I have black, #8, and brown calf, and am waiting patiently for the same Alden of Carmel offering you are. Plus, am hoping a little something in whiskey might be coming at the end of the week. Cigar and revello seem to be the really hard ones.

The LHS, PTB, and LW rule in my book!
BC, may I ask what shoe are you getting in whiskey shell?

·
Banned
316 Posts
Just won my first longwings-- Florsheim Royal Imperials-- on ebay. Don't know much about them but very excited to receive them. (When) did they stop making these? What's with the "V-Cleat" I think these have (a tiny little caret-shaped thing on the outside of the heel)? Also, is there any difference between Blucher longwings and Balmoral longwings other than the obvious? I guess by that I mean that I think of longwings as somewhat casual, but they make Balmoral versions, so what's the deal?
Will update when I receive them,
Matt

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just won my first longwings-- Florsheim Royal Imperials-- on ebay. Don't know much about them but very excited to receive them. (When) did they stop making these? What's with the "V-Cleat" I think these have (a tiny little caret-shaped thing on the outside of the heel)? Also, is there any difference between Blucher longwings and Balmoral longwings other than the obvious? I guess by that I mean that I think of longwings as somewhat casual, but they make Balmoral versions, so what's the deal?
Will update when I receive them,
Matt
Congrats, you will enjoy those gunboats. Those shoes are probably from the mid-70s if I remember right. Very high quality shoes. Did you get shell or calf?

As to your 2nd question, usually most balmoral wingtips are wingtips only, whereas most blucher wingtips are longwings ... a picture from aldenshop.com explains this waaay better:

(longwing blucher)

(wingtip balmoral)

However, AoC offers wingtips in blucher style, which is very, very nice too:

I personally prefer longwings over wingtips, but that is not to say that I dislike wingtips - I just like longwings more :) Though they are kind of casual shoes because of the broguing, I will defintely wear the wingtip bal with a suit. Damn, I'd actually wear any of the above three shoes with a suit.

Does that answer your question, or did I muddle the puddle even more? :)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I wear mine once a week. But I'm fine with the one. More of a split toe man myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts

btw, these are the shoes I am getting:

The suede lw's are sweet. I think the Polo C&J Darlton is a wingtip, not a longwing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.