Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for makers of long ties, preferably under say $70? I'd like to find some around 65" or longer and it seems like that is somewhat rare but if I know what labels to look for it would help. The most common upper end I seem to find is 61" but even then with small knots I still feel like the back blade looks a bit like I'm wearing a clown tie.

Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
are 63 inches. I used to think that they were sufficient till a customer returned 5 cause he needed at least 65 inches.

At this point in my life, 3 sizes are enough :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yikes. Those FIH ties that someone posted are boring! (Is that even a store? A company?) If I'm going to shell out $80 for a tie, I'd at least like to see something with a little color or flair.

I am a Talbott XL tie guy all the way. They aren't cheap, but they are great designs AND great quality!

I'm actually here because a co-worker turned me on to this site. This seems to be a good thread to work off for my question.

I have the hardest time finding a place to get a steady stream of high-quality cotton shirts with a neck size of 20". I am not a fan of Rochester Big and Tall (lots of solid colors mostly). Does anyone recommend a place or website?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Unfortunately, Sam Hober is a little more expensive than what you're looking for, but I can say the quality (and the fact that they'll make it as long as you like) is worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
332 Posts
...I have the hardest time finding a place to get a steady stream of high-quality cotton shirts with a neck size of 20". I am not a fan of Rochester Big and Tall (lots of solid colors mostly). Does anyone recommend a place or website?
My neck size is 21.5". I use MTM from Tom James, which is not highly favored on this web site. Most MTM will accommodate a 20" neck, but not an 1/8" over that.

Greg

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yikes. Those FIH ties that someone posted are boring! (Is that even a store? A company?) If I'm going to shell out $80 for a tie, I'd at least like to see something with a little color or flair.

I am a Talbott XL tie guy all the way. They aren't cheap, but they are great designs AND great quality!
Hmmm.... I suppose you mean me, but I am confused because my average XL tie is 55 dollars.

But you are right... I cant compete to RT ties when it comes to Color and Flair... :cry:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Congratulations, you managed to insult a long time valued member of Ask Andy ON YOUR VERY FIRST POST.

Heck, it usually takes me three or four posts to get the lay of the land and start insulting people.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

I'm actually here because a co-worker turned me on to this site. This seems to be a good thread to work off for my question.

I have the hardest time finding a place to get a steady stream of high-quality cotton shirts with a neck size of 20". I am not a fan of Rochester Big and Tall (lots of solid colors mostly). Does anyone recommend a place or website?
Go bespoke. And stop insulting people. (Not necessarily in that order.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on the shirts. I used MTM years ago, and it sounds like it's something I should go back to.

As far as my comment on the ties. First, let me apologize if anyone feels insulted. Being new to this site, I completely missed the fact that the person who was suggesting the FIH ties was the guy himself. I just thought he was just a guy like all of us suggesting something. I honestly didn't mean to insult him.

Having said that, it appears as though there are some incredible double-standards here that everyone is missing.

It would seem as though if someone is on this site plugging his own merchandise (and I thought this site was for customers, not stores), then it should be fair game for others to comment on that merchandise just like we would any other brand. Why should that poster be insulated from negative views? And merely opining that the designs are "boring" is hardly an insult. It is an opinion. I'm sorry if so many of you disagree.

What's funny is that I have read dozens of other posts over the last 2 days, and many on here have also given their opinions on other brands - and so many of those opinions have been much stronger than mine. Indeed, someone on here alluded to the past negative commentaries on Tom James' products. Is that not the same "insulting"?

I have read post after post ripping into experiences with certain brands, stores and websites. Is the rule that if the store itself is a member of this website, you are not allowed to give a negative opinion? If that is the case, then it would seem that this website isn't what it purports to be. I think if you're putting your stuff on this website, it should be fair game to both positive and negative criticism from the members.

And then, in an ironic twist of fate, the very person who was "insulted" then gave his own implicit "insult" (opinion) on Robert Talbot designs. And yet, no one seem offended by this. So I can only assume that Mr. Talbot isn't a member of this website either.

Again, thanks for the shirt advice. Not trying to start trouble - but I think I may have misunderstood the mission of the website.

Peace.

Brad

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's funny how opinions on aesthetics differ.

A good number of the FIH designs are what I would consider too flashy for myself (though I do like some of his ties a lot), but then I like, very, very understated designs on my ties.

I could say the similar things about Robert Talbott ties, in fact. The only Talbott ties I really like are the regimental ones and some of the foulard prints.

·
Registered
610 Posts
As far as my comment on the ties. First, let me apologize if anyone feels insulted.
I was not insulted, I was commenting on your comment about 1) Boring vs. flair and 2) Price. As I mentioned I dont have XL Ties fore 80, they are more like 50-60 on the average. I assumed that before you commented on something you saw on my site you would have have taken the time to confirm your facts.

Being new to this site, I completely missed the fact that the person who was suggesting the FIH ties was the guy himself. I just thought he was just a guy like all of us suggesting something. I honestly didn't mean to insult him.
If you are maintaining now that you couldn't figure out that the link that was posted was to my store which is prominently displayed on my signature and when I comment that a customer returned 5 ties for larger sizes that I am not the proprietor of said establishment then the only one you are insulting is your own intelligence.

Having said that, it appears as though there are some incredible double-standards here that everyone is missing.

It would seem as though if someone is on this site plugging his own merchandise (and I thought this site was for customers, not stores), then it should be fair game for others to comment on that merchandise just like we would any other brand. Why should that poster be insulated from negative views? And merely opining that the designs are "boring" is hardly an insult. It is an opinion. I'm sorry if so many of you disagree.
I dont think that anyone is bothered by the fact that gave your opinion. Everyone is entitled to that. I do think that your inaugural post would have been met with more enthusiasm had you said that you find certain ties boring but that the ties on a certain site are boring. Usually when a person joins a site to state something like that or in that manner its taken for what it is. A jab at the site or the proprietor. First posts like that quickly label the person a troll. I think that clarifies why your post was deemed insulting whereas others can comment freely on other brands.

What's funny is that I have read dozens of other posts over the last 2 days, and many on here have also given their opinions on other brands - and so many of those opinions have been much stronger than mine. Indeed, someone on here alluded to the past negative commentaries on Tom James' products. Is that not the same "insulting"?

I have read post after post ripping into experiences with certain brands, stores and websites. Is the rule that if the store itself is a member of this website, you are not allowed to give a negative opinion? If that is the case, then it would seem that this website isn't what it purports to be. I think if you're putting your stuff on this website, it should be fair game to both positive and negative criticism from the members.

And then, in an ironic twist of fate, the very person who was "insulted" then gave his own implicit "insult" (opinion) on Robert Talbot designs. And yet, no one seem offended by this. So I can only assume that Mr. Talbot isn't a member of this website either.

Again, thanks for the shirt advice. Not trying to start trouble - but I think I may have misunderstood the mission of the website.

Peace.

Brad

·
Registered
55 Posts
I find that buying long ties is very difficult. Many of the so called long ties seemed to be designed for gigantic necks, meaning the tail portion is long but the actual wider tie portion is the same length a regular tie. I need length in the front as I as I am 6'2" but only 31" inseam so have a long body. Long ties from Next Stores in UK are some of the only ones I have ever found that are proportioned properly. I wear a lot of 3 piece suits so that tie length is not such an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.