Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a good likelihood that I will be heading to the middle east for a year or two. Since the areas I'll be working in are only marginally civilized (I will have running water, but no access to a decent laundry service and I'm told dry cleaning is right out, not to mention the occasional mortar, IED or rocket attack) I'm going to need to store most of my stuff to include my suits, sport coats, trousers and cotton dress shirts.

This stuff is probably either going to wind up in a storage locker somewhere, or a basement in St. Louis. So just putting it in a cardboard wardrobe box is right out.

I have considered carefully folding the clothes and putting them in some clear plastic "tupperware" boxes, dropping some dry ice in, and then sealing the top on with liquid gasket sealer.

But that might be excessive.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No help?

· Registered
934 Posts
Could you put them in a canvas bag? Hang each suit with tissue paper between the trouser hanger, then a piece of tissue over the trouser. Under the suit jacket place tissue paper around the shoulders and sleves.
Also try and cover the outside of the jacket. Then place the item in a canvas bag. Hag that bag in a cool dry area of the house not the basement. Go on line for closet storage and you will find these canvas bags. Hope that helps.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
There is a good likelihood that I will be heading to the middle east for a year or two. Since the areas I'll be working in are only marginally civilized (I will have running water, but no access to a decent laundry service and I'm told dry cleaning is right out, not to mention the occasional mortar, IED or rocket attack) I'm going to need to store most of my stuff to include my suits, sport coats, trousers and cotton dress shirts.

This stuff is probably either going to wind up in a storage locker somewhere, or a basement in St. Louis. So just putting it in a cardboard wardrobe box is right out.

I have considered carefully folding the clothes and putting them in some clear plastic "tupperware" boxes, dropping some dry ice in, and then sealing the top on with liquid gasket sealer.

But that might be excessive.

Any suggestions?
Basements often tend to be damp, at least periodically. I haven't any first hand experience with storage lockers, but I wouldn't bet on a humidity and temperature controlled environment. I like the idea of packing in a large impermeable plastic hampers, and sealing them tightly. I think I'd probably be happy with duct tape, and skip the gasket sealer.

I don't understand the purpose of dry ice. It's solid Co2, right? And when it melts you get just the gas in an expanded form? I'd be concerned that the extreme cold to which the wool would temporarily be exposed might damage the fibers. I would just get some cedar scented mothballs, and place an adequate amount of them in the containers to take care of any critters. When you return, you may find your clothes can be worn after being hung out and pressed, though I'd probably suggest a dry cleaner first, and laundering the shirts.

While I normally think hanging in canvas a good idea, I'd be concerned about the environment in which they might reside allowing excessive moisture access to your clothes.

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you put them in a canvas bag? Hang each suit with tissue paper between the trouser hanger, then a piece of tissue over the trouser. Under the suit jacket place tissue paper around the shoulders and sleves.
Also try and cover the outside of the jacket. Then place the item in a canvas bag. Hag that bag in a cool dry area of the house not the basement. Go on line for closet storage and you will find these canvas bags. Hope that helps.
HANGIN'S TOO GOOD FOR THEM

No, seriously hanging might not be an option.

And the reason for the dry ice is to evacuate the air from the containers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.