Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you guys can help me here. My folks are travelling to the UK in the beginning of July. Every trip they ask me if I want anything and occationally really hit the jackpot (one year was a Borrelli shirt and tie from Capri that were stunning).

They don't have the time to really "spend a day" shopping, just a few hours where they can hit the shops that are in or around most London tourist destinations. I haven't been to London since 2000 so wouldn't know what was where. They also can't just go into a place like Borrelli and pick out a shirt and tie full retail (in Capri they hit Borrelli while they were having their summer sale and got it for s steep discount). Does Turnbull & Asser sound like it may fit the bill? I know if the pound hovers where it is now, that shopping will be good for Americans there. Any other suggestions for a real nice, "British" shirt and tie combo that is easily accessible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Harrods would be the best location, same size as Macy's in New York.
They sell Turnbull & Asser, Burberry, Duchamp, Sunspel, Tateossian, Paul Smith, Ted Baker and Harrods own brand. Your parents can also do some tourist shopping and get a chance to eat as well all in one building.
As Al-Fayed's brother owns T&A, Harrods have a good range of shirts, v-neck sweaters, sweaters, pocket sqaures, blazers and dressing gowns.

It is close to Hyde Park (one of the seven Royal Parks) and Hyde Park Corner, and not far from:

Green Park and St James' Park (two Royal Parks and can see Buckingham Palace)
Park Lane (five start hotels)
Piccadilly (The Ritz, Fortnum & Mason, Royal Academy)
Regent Street (lots of shops)
Oxford Street (lots of shops)

Westminister and Victoria are a bit further in terms of walking distance, only a few stops on the tube.

If you want specific Turnbull & Asser items (certain colours, etc) then they could go to Jermyn Shirt; however, as they will be shopping for you, Harrods will have enough range for shirts and ties, plus they could also pick up items for themselves.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
When I was in London for a couple days at the end of June and beginning of July, there were huge sales going on at that point.

I was able to get shirts at T.M. Lewin shirts ridiciously cheap ... though, I will say I find it tough to get off-the-peg shirts in London because most shops don't sell by neck and sleeve size. They generally seem to offer only by neck size, which means you have to spend extra money having the sleeves shortened to fit you.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
July is the big sales month, along with January. To have your best chance of getting something really good that you will find lots of uses for, I recommend asking them to go to the Turnbull & Asser shop in Jermyn Street for a classic shirt in white, light blue, or a blue stripe. Just make sure that they know to ask to be shown downstairs, one floor below street level, which is where the bulk of the RTW shirts are really kept. And be sure to let them know whether you want single or double cuffs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any trip to London has to include a stop at the Paul Smith shop in Covent Garden and the Hackett shop on Jermyn Street. Top that off with a nice lunch at Richaud in Mayfair and you are in paradise.
Bear in mind that there is a Paul Smith sale shop located in Avery Row - just off Bond Street. Curiously this is not listed in the store locator on their website. Stock is fairly hit and miss as you would expect from somewhere that exists to shift end-of-line stock but you may be lucky. Given that the OP will be shopping by proxy this may not be ideal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
fantastic. my london office is a stone's throw from the royal exchange. i did not realize that the paul smith store there carried sale items.
AFAIK it's now only sale items. I expressed surprise at this last time I visited (this was pre-crunch) and the saleswoman said that it worked for them as the city boys bought 5 suits at a time rather than one.

I picked up a lovely dark brown POW suit with a subtle purple overcheck for £160.

·
Registered
7 Posts
London shopping

Why not just stick to Jermyn Street?

Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key, Harvie & Hudson, New & Lingwood, T.M.Lewin, Herbie Frogg + Trickers. Piccadilly Arcade runs north leading to Cordings if there is a need to venture further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I'd go to Selfridges & pick up an white Eton Shirt (contemporary fit, double cuff & cutaway collar) from the first floor menswear, followed by a Hermes Tie from the ground floor.

Swedish & French of course but essential London attire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.