Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living in London for a few months now and have noticed that men here button the bottom button of their suit jackets in disproportionate numbers. When I first arrived it was often only the bottom button that was buttoned, and now that it has gotten colder, all the buttons are done up. I even saw a jacket in a shop window with only the bottom button buttoned. One morning on my 20 minute walk to work I counted the number of buttoned bottom buttons. I counted 25!

Where did this come from, and why do I see it in London so much more than, say, New York City?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Where did this come from, and why do I see it in London so much more than, say, New York City?
Because the cut has become absurd. The button stance has become so ridiculously high that the only way to keep one's tie from flapping and short from billowing below the jacket when combined with the low rise belted trousers that are the other component in this absurdity, is to keep the bottom button buttoned.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Not seen it much, but it still happens normally when wearing a coat. As it can get quite cold, people assume doing all the buttons will make them feel warmer. Probably explains why it has moved over to suit blazers.

A more serious crime in London is striped shirts with striped suits - started happening last summer and it seems it had a big following this summer/autumn/winter.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Not seen it much, but it still happens normally when wearing a coat. As it can get quite cold, people assume doing all the buttons will make them feel warmer. Probably explains why it has moved over to suit blazers.

A more serious crime in London is striped shirts with striped suits - started happening last summer and it seems it had a big following this summer/autumn/winter.
That is classic London style and not a crime.

W_B

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been living in London for a few months now and have noticed that men here button the bottom button of their suit jackets in disproportionate numbers. When I first arrived it was often only the bottom button that was buttoned, and now that it has gotten colder, all the buttons are done up. I even saw a jacket in a shop window with only the bottom button buttoned. One morning on my 20 minute walk to work I counted the number of buttoned bottom buttons. I counted 25!

I've noticed it in Dublin for the past six months or so. And yes, it seems to be deliberate, though Lord know's why...

·
Registered
523 Posts
What I've noticed in London is that men in reasonably well cut, good quality suits tend to observe the 'sometimes, always, never' top-to-bottom buttoning rule on jackets; it's men in cheap ill fitting suits wearing them as 'costume' for a job or special occasion that tend to have all three buttons done up.

I suspect it's because they consider it smarter and view one button done up as 'sloppy'.

For some reason, TV weathermen always seem to have all three buttons done up as well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What I've noticed in London is that men in reasonably well cut, good quality suits tend to observe the 'sometimes, always, never' top-to-bottom buttoning rule on jackets; it's men in cheap ill fitting suits wearing them as 'costume' for a job or special occasion that tend to have all three buttons done up.

I suspect it's because they consider it smarter and view one button done up as 'sloppy'.

For some reason, TV weathermen always seem to have all three buttons done up as well.
So true. One young chap once proudly announced to me that he finally figured out the various fastening options: middle button only when feeling relaxed, top and middle button when conducting business and all three in a formal context. I wish I had said something clever in response but all I could do at the time was put on a polite smile. Bugger!:icon_smile_big:

On the other hand, it seems quite popular in India to fasten ONLY the bottom button, taking the "relaxed" look to an altogether different level. Very chic.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
237 Posts
The only thing worse is the sickeningly growing trend of not removing the sewn on tag on the left forearm! I’m seeing this all too much. Is this the same as people leaving on the tags on their baseball caps? Is this a show of “wealth” or ignorance?

The only time you should still have those sewn on tags on your clothing is before your tailor alters it (that or you just shop lifted it and are making a get-a-way…)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.