Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then a thread pops up asking how long such-and-such-a-shoe lasts before it needs resoling.

I have a pair of Loake Obans. They are nothing flash; Shoemaker series, grain-corrected uppers, but fine for work. These get worn maybe six times a month, are well rested and have shoe trees fitted when not worn. Mostly they are parked under my desk and the majority of work is up and down carpeted corridors. They get the occasional trip into town on pavements (say, six blocks, twice a month) and the soles get wet from time to time.

The soles have just worn through and my estimation is that they have had about 150 days wear.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Leather v. Rubber Soles

150 days' of wear?

I had a pair of Birkenstock Footprints (I think they were the Manhattan or the Chicago, the one with the pair of monk straps on each). Due to a toe injury, they were THE ONLY shoes I could wear (otherwise it'd be sandals). Bottom-line, I wore these every work day, in all weather (I lived in northern Wisconsin at the time), from spring 1999 through fall 2005. And then had them refurbished.

We talk here about the value of buying a quality shoe that can be refurbished. I think I have a pair here.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I wouldn't bother resoling Loakes, not even the 1880s.

The upside of Loakes is that they make a lot of classic styles and they're fairly cheap.

The downside is that once you (or at least I) grind through the original sole, the uppers (even of the calfskin 1880s, the only ones I wear) aren't in good enough shape to merit the cost of resoling, at least in my judgment.

Standard-issue, local-cobbler resoling around where I live costs US$75 at least. That's almost half the price of a new pair of Loakes. Given such a calculus, I will go for the new shoes.

When it's a pair of $350 C&Js that wear out their soles, then having them recrafted is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all about the maths, really. Around here the cost of resoling is about a quarter of the cost of new Loakes. All my shoes have uppers in good nick so I expect they will get at least one resoling. Besides, I cannot bring myself to throw out an otherwise good pair of shoes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

The upside of Loakes is that they make a lot of classic styles and they're fairly cheap.

The downside is that once you (or at least I) grind through the original sole, the uppers (even of the calfskin 1880s, the only ones I wear) aren't in good enough shape to merit the cost of resoling, at least in my judgment.

Standard-issue, local-cobbler resoling around where I live costs US$75 at least. That's almost half the price of a new pair of Loakes. Given such a calculus, I will go for the new shoes.

When it's a pair of $350 C&Js that wear out their soles, then having them recrafted is a no-brainer.
I bought a pair of Loake 1880s a short while back--first pair. They are holding up beautifully and giving me reason to buy other pairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to say that I think Loake shoes are vastly underrated by some people on this board. Much to my surprise.

I have Ferragamos, Loakes 1880s (and others) and have had a couple of Oliver Sweeneys. (As for the Sweeneys, the subject of another thread by me in which my dissapointment in the quality of both pairs of Sweeney shoes is shown)
Ferragamos are very nice to look at.
Oliver Sweeney shoes are cheaply made, sold at premium prices but don't last lookswise or structurally.

The loakes on the other hand are at a price where the quality is fantastic for the price. Greater structural quality than the ferragamos at a much lower price.
I've abused Loakes in the past and they still look good after a couple of re-solings.

If you want a high quality shoe and don't want to pay for a "name" Loake is definately the company to buy from.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Good choice.

What style did you choose for your first pair?
Sorry didn't see this question. I bought the Knightsbridge and I am truly enjoying the shoes. I have feet that are touch wider than a standard "D" but not really an "E" and their "F" fitting is really a very good fit. I like them and would definitely by other pairs. At about $210, I would defnitely resole.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have no complaints about the Loakes I've owned. They're not showstoppers; they're excellent workhorse shoes. They're the shoes I wear when I want to look good, but don't want to be overly fussy or high-maintenance about the ground I'm walking on.

Right now in the Chicago area, the weather is extremely unpredictable. It might rain; it might snow; it might be a balmy 70 degrees. I have no idea on any given day. In this sort of environment, I will wear my Loakes around town a lot more frequently than I'll wear my AEs, Aldens, etc. It's not that the latter can't take a little bit of a beating; it's that the Loakes are inexpensive enough that I can afford replacements somewhat easily.

In short: very good quality for a very modest price. There's an old adage (I believe it's in Roetzel?) about never trusting a dress shoe priced under $250-300. Loake is an exception to that rule.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My 1880 Exeters have lasted a long time so far. Well beyond 100 wears in the past 18 months. They are my fave pair of shoes, despite all my AEs which are great.

My tan Chukkas haven't been worn as much, but they are holding up perfectly. I love the Chukkas.... can't remember the name, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yup same.

Absolutely no complaints with me either greenplastic.
That's the best way to describe Loakes, faithful workhorses that are a cut above most shoes.
I recently bought a set of 1880 Dorchesters,
https://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=1883

I also learned that they are a big made shoe. I bought from Pediwear.
I know, I know, Buying shoes off the interweb!! But as I have had so many pairs of them I knew they were going to fit well and be comfortable.

I had to return and buy a half size smaller than my usual size to fit, but very happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.