Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like wearing penny loafers sans socks, but can only find Florsheim Berkeley on ebay as the store bought ones aren't made as well. Any suggestions on brands not too expensive but with great quality? The ones in a recent GQ were quite expensive.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What do you call expensive? Great Quality will cost at least $300-$500+or-
I'm still wearing my Bass Weejuns from college circa 1980. They're worn at least 2-3 times per week and have been resoled 4 times each. They look virtually new. Bass cost nowhere near $500 a pair. Any shoe that lasts that long is of very good quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Bass weejuns are in fact a very good wearing shoe. I never owned a pair in college, although many friends had them. I never quite liked the color. the style was fine. The leather never really looked like high quality to me. If price is the major factor then I would consider them. I prefer a richer cordovan color. I bought the Alden penny 986 #8 cordovan from brooks last year on sale for 30% off. $369.00 You can't beat the color or the shell cordovan. My next purchase of penny's will be a cigar shell split toe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A small recommendation from a fashion newbie

Greetings... this is my first post on here (w00t!), and I'd like to use it to offer a recommendation. I very recently was prodded by somebody older and wiser than I am to track down a pair of penny loafers, preferably Bass Weejuns. He and others swear by them (obviously including the above poster). We called DSW, and they said they did not carry them (it turns out later that they did in fact have some Bass penny loafers, and they were something like $60. They looked great.)

Anyway, I tried department stores with no luck and finally ended up at a Johnston & Murphy store with my low expectations. It was there that I found a GREAT (IMO) pair of penny loafers: these. They've been worth every dime since I've bought them. They look and feel fantastic. If they look like they might work for you, I encourage you to track them down. Note: I was browsing J&M's website, and I noticed that they also have another pair of loafers that are a bit fancier and more expensive (and certainly very attractive): these. I might've shelled out for the nicer ones if the store I was visiting had them in stock, but the first ones are awesome for what they are.

Edit: there are some loafers in the $300+ range on that site as well. Just noticed.

Disclaimer: I'm 24 years old, I'm not in anyway associated with J&M, and Andy approved the posting of the above links. :icon_smile:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Good quality is nice, but they won't last long if you keep refusing to wear socks! Try "loafer socks" which stay hidden if you want that look. I've seen them at Banana Republic and a couple other stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.