Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently I picked up a pair of bass loafers. what is the most formal I can go with these? i figure with an odd jacket and tie is ok, but recently I have seen a few people wearing them with a suit. if I'm wearing a basic suit, repp tie and a white shirt, are loafers like these ok, or are they too dressed down?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wouldn't wear Weejuns with a suit. I'll wear Alden cordovan tassle loafers with suits, but wear oxfords if the occasion is at all formal. Weejuns with a blazer or tweed jacket and khakis or flannels, absolutely. (It is too bad, though, that the new, offshored Weejuns look shiny and cheap. The old Maine-sewn Weejuns were a much more solid shoe. I still wear Weejuns out of loyalty, though I wish Bass would honor that loyalty with some old-fashioned pride of craftsmanship.)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Loafers are considered to be a casual shoe. They can be worn with an odd jacket and tie as a weekend outfit but I would steer clear of them for work.

That said many men do wear them with suits these days - it just looks wrong and proclaims that the man does not know how to dress. The old rules are there for a reason - the balance of the loafer style plus its asthetic do not work with the look of a suit.

I do not know the make you refer to - an American make I assume but I seem to remember seeing pics of Bass Weejuns - are these very casual? If so I'd stick to chinos or jeans with these - they'd go very well with these trousers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There was a time -- say 15-20 years ago -- when some otherwise Trad-worthy young guys thought it was fine to wear black Weejuns with a suit in some circumstances (a Friday with no big meetings, perhaps -- this in the days before "Casual Friday", of course). Not the dressiest option, but passable.

I understand that black Weejuns are frowned upon generally here but I've liked them since I was an undergrad (though I haven't worn them with a suit in a long, long time), when they were seen as a way to be a bit boho while still being very much classic. One of my majors was creative writing, what can I say...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There was a time -- say 15-20 years ago -- when some otherwise Trad-worthy young guys thought it was fine to wear black Weejuns with a suit in some circumstances (a Friday with no big meetings, perhaps -- this in the days before "Casual Friday", of course). Not the dressiest option, but passable.

I understand that black Weejuns are frowned upon generally here but I've liked them since I was an undergrad (though I haven't worn them with a suit in a long, long time), when they were seen as a way to be a bit boho while still being very much classic. One of my majors was creative writing, what can I say...
Used to do that back then. Do the same thing nowadays, but with Alden 987s. We still like black Weejuns, too.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I wear weejuns with casual suits, poplins and seersucker. Sometimes without socks! But let's not dredge up that conversation again!

JB
Weejuns with a Seersucker suit?!?

Hmmm. I've never thought weejuns looked all that good with a suit, but I see your point.

Black oxfords or wingtips always look so out of place with the whimsical blue and white stripes of a seersucker or pincord suit. Yet I've seen this done all the time.

Oxblood Weejuns would look far less showy than white bucks, and therefore perfect for many occasions.

I think you've won me over.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Loafers are considered to be a casual shoe. They can be worn with an odd jacket and tie as a weekend outfit but I would steer clear of them for work.

That said many men do wear them with suits these days - it just looks wrong and proclaims that the man does not know how to dress. The old rules are there for a reason - the balance of the loafer style plus its asthetic do not work with the look of a suit.

I do not know the make you refer to - an American make I assume but I seem to remember seeing pics of Bass Weejuns - are these very casual? If so I'd stick to chinos or jeans with these - they'd go very well with these trousers.
I think that nationality is an issue here. Loafers have been acceptable business wear in the US since WWII. Whether Weejuns are formal enough for a suit is another question, as these are a fairly casual incarnation of the moccasin. When I wear my navy suit, I go for my cordovan tassel loafers 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you took the tassel loafers off of every lawyer in a suit, you'd have a courtroom full of them walking around in their socks. Very common. At least out West here. They seem a bit dressier than pennies, though I wear both.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Weejuns with anything, anytime. Screw the rules of formality. Think insouciant comfort... the same as with wearing another "casual wear only" item, the OCBD.
I totally agree. I may not always do it myself...but would admire someone who did.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Might be some regionality to this as well. I know several folks that will wear Weejuns with a suit in my parts; I do it myself once in a blue moon. Generally speaking though, not my first choice; but not out of the ordinary in these parts.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Loafers traditionally are not worn with suits since the dressiness of the shoes does not match the dressiness of the suit. However in some businesses, loafers have been accepted (show business, some advertising, etc.).
Whose tradition is this? What business environments are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Frankly, I've always thought the rules about wearing only laceups with suits...or never wearing button downs with suits--particularly in America--are basically ridiculous and irrelevant. I suppose if you work on Wall Street or in certain corridors of power in DC there may be those who would notice or care. I've traveled rather widely in business and political circles and have seen these so-called "rules" ignored more often than not. So much so as to be of no effect except to fashion mavens and writers of men's fashion advice. I mean they have to pontificate on something or they are not experts. But hey, I love to read them. I just think this sort of thing is legalistic and seldom realistic.

While common sense is certainly called for (one would look ridiculous wearing top-siders with a suit--which I have actually seen--or brown shoes with formal wear) this whole thing is off most people's radar screen and a throwback to a far bygone era. IMH--but widely held--O.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.