Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts? How would you compare the stuff to JCrew? who in my opinion has had there stuff have a significant drop in quality since moving all production (or most at least) to China.

They have some nice colors for the summer, and I think a few shirts are calling my name. Actually starting to look fwd to summer now...Hilton Head Island, warm sea water, sweet tea...mmmmmmm.

·
Registered
578 Posts
One area where there might be a noticeable difference between Bean and Crew is in fit. I would imagine that the J.Crew shirts will have a slimmer cut than the L.L. Bean.

I am leaning more towards Lands End for my spring summer casual wear this year. Here's a thread on their current offerings.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=91007

I am particularly excited to try out some of the madras ss shirts.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Any thoughts? How would you compare the stuff to JCrew? who in my opinion has had there stuff have a significant drop in quality since moving all production (or most at least) to China.

They have some nice colors for the summer, and I think a few shirts are calling my name. Actually starting to look fwd to summer now...Hilton Head Island, warm sea water, sweet tea...mmmmmmm.
Bean quality can be hit and miss, as can most once reliable sources. You might also consider Jos. A. Bank and Orvis for this type of item. Bank pricing now works like an auction where they bid a price (list) and see who raises their hand. Simultaneously, or subsequently they offer the same item at various prices in their catalogs and on-line throughout the season at pricing that runs 25% to 60% off full list price.

I think both Jos. A Bank and Orvis sportswear is superior to the average quality now found at Bean. My experience is that nothing is wonderful, and little is awful.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I hope you didn't really throw the shorts out - you just threw $ away.
If you have quality issues with Bean, send the stuff back - they'll make it right or refund your $. Lifetime. Their customer service is the best.

While their recent quality is not top of the line, their pricing is at least reasonable, when combined with the guarantee, make them worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Their customer service is the best.

While their recent quality is not top of the line, their pricing is at least reasonable, when combined with the guarantee, make them worthwhile.
While it's nice that the customer service is top quality, their merchandise isn't as good as it was only a few years ago, and is generally far inferior to what it was 10 years ago. That I can return their junk as unsatisfactory is secondary to my not wanting junk in the first place, at any price.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
While it's nice that the customer service is top quality, their merchandise isn't as good as it was only a few years ago, and is generally far inferior to what it was 10 years ago. That I can return their junk as unsatisfactory is secondary to my not wanting junk in the first place, at any price.
Agreed. I'd rather go buy a pair of $75 shorts that I know are going to be high quality and just be done with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have recently purchased a couple trim fit oxfords from LL Bean, and tried on pretty much every style of JCrew shirt before making that decision. Some observations:

-The J Crew shirt bodies in general are cut only slightly more trim than than the Bean 'Trim Fit' per equivalent neck/sleeve measurements. It's close though.

-The J Crew shirts seem like they're meant to be worn untucked with being tucked in as an option. The Bean feels the opposite.

- The non-iron finish on the Bean shirts makes them feel a bit stiffer, though it does work, and overall they appear more business than casual, than the J Crew shirts. The J Crew fabric is nice and soft to the touch.

- The Bean shirts seem to be constructed more carefully than the J Crew - seams are nice and flat on the Bean - there is some rolling/pucker to be found on the J Crew. The Bean collar rolls rather than folds on the J Crew.

It's more a matter of how the shirt will be worn - for a weekend-casual oxford the J Crew is probably more the shirt you're looking for. For office-casual the Bean shirt is probably the better way to go.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I was underwhelmed by the spring/summer stuff. It seems pretty ho-hum. I might want to give the poplin trousers a look, the ones that appear to be untreated.

I was talking with Joe Tradly at one point and mentioned that the half-dozen LL Bean treated oxfords I own have one extremely irritating feature — they have the worst ring around the collar of any shirt I own. Mr. Tradly concurred.

I understand - even approve - the non-iron treatment on shirts made of thinner material. But oxford cloth barely needs ironing to begin with.

LLB would do well to bag the Teflon — on the oxfords, anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.