Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm dropping some weight and looking to get some new khakis. Since I'm still not at my target weight, I don't want to break the bank with J Press, Donnelly's or O'Connells.

I'm looking at the LL Bean Double LL Chino and the Orvis Ultimate Khakis. Both seem to have rather a heavy cloth (LL Bean at 8.6 oz) and (Orvis at 9.5 oz), both are imported. Both are pretty classic in styling. If you buy 2 Orvis you get $50 off and if I order with a new email address, I get 15% off ;-). LL Bean's are pretty reasonably priced.

Anyone tried both of them? Thoughts? Are the Orvis that much better?

· Registered
23 Posts
I've had a few pair of each. I prefer the Orvis overall.

Orvis is a heavier fabric, look a little better beat up, and have a nicer finish to the buttons and zippers overall. They launder well and look better with age. Worn in, as opposed to worn out.

Bean is lighter weight, so better for warmer weather, but treated to be stain resistant and wrinkle resistant, and so breathes less than the Orvis or an untreated fabric. However, they can be hung from the cuffs and don't require ironing after laundering.

In favor of Bean, they have a broader color palette. Orvis is limited to darker colors.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
LLB makes a “Lakewashed” trouser which is untreated. I have several pairs of LLB and find them excellent value/quality ratio.

I wore LLB exclusively for about 2-3 yrs. The pieces I have wear like iron. Over the last several years we’ve also built my wife’s warbrobe around LLB as well. She is a small tall and generally difficult to fit…

LLB are legit.

On another note, regarding your recent weight loss. First, congrats! Second, I lost about 90 pounds just over a decade ago and have managed to keep most of it off. But, my weight fluctuates quite a bit still. I have learned to buy my trousers one size smaller. Example, if I am a 40 waist I buy a 38 and have the tailor let out the pants to a 40. This allows for a slightly more fitted appearance and holds me accountable to my current waist size and even inspires me to try and drop back down a size.

Cheers!

· Registered
2,584 Posts
They're comparable enough to go with the best price (and besides, it's not like you need them to really last, since they're "interim" chinos). Orvis does have some good deals from time to time, as does LLB. Just follow that wind sock.

DH

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Just FYI, you are aware JPress is having a sale and some trousers in your price range are made in USA.

$75 is a steal for those...

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Also, if you see something on the JPress website that is not in your size, call one of the shops and ask them. They may have the item in stock, or they can check the other stores. Just trying to be helpful.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a few pair of each. I prefer the Orvis overall.

Orvis is a heavier fabric, look a little better beat up, and have a nicer finish to the buttons and zippers overall. They launder well and look better with age. Worn in, as opposed to worn out.

Bean is lighter weight, so better for warmer weather, but treated to be stain resistant and wrinkle resistant, and so breathes less than the Orvis or an untreated fabric. However, they can be hung from the cuffs and don't require ironing after laundering.

In favor of Bean, they have a broader color palette. Orvis is limited to darker colors.
Thanks

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LLB makes a “Lakewashed” trouser which is untreated. I have several pairs of LLB and find them excellent value/quality ratio.

I wore LLB exclusively for about 2-3 yrs. The pieces I have wear like iron. Over the last several years we’ve also built my wife’s warbrobe around LLB as well. She is a small tall and generally difficult to fit…

LLB are legit.

On another note, regarding your recent weight loss. First, congrats! Second, I lost about 90 pounds just over a decade ago and have managed to keep most of it off. But, my weight fluctuates quite a bit still. I have learned to buy my trousers one size smaller. Example, if I am a 40 waist I buy a 38 and have the tailor let out the pants to a 40. This allows for a slightly more fitted appearance and holds me accountable to my current waist size and even inspires me to try and drop back down a size.

Cheers!
I agree about liking a trimmer fit. Would rather err in a way that holds me accountable.

How do you like the Lakewashed vs the Double L?

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're comparable enough to go with the best price (and besides, it's not like you need them to really last, since they're "interim" chinos). Orvis does have some good deals from time to time, as does LLB. Just follow that wind sock.

DH
Right! Gonna follow the wind sock!

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just FYI, you are aware JPress is having a sale and some trousers in your price range are made in USA.

Thanks! They look great!

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, if you see something on the JPress website that is not in your size, call one of the shops and ask them. They may have the item in stock, or they can check the other stores. Just trying to be helpful.
I visited the NYC store with a friend. I’ll make sure to call. I’ve done that with LL BEAN and ordered items not on the website from individual stores.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have worn the Orvis Ultimates for about 5-6 years since Bills went downhill. Have not tried the Bean as I am very happy with Orvis.
Thanks!

· Registered
963 Posts
I tried the LLB version in the "classic" fit but would never buy them again:> the legs taper from the knee to the cuff is just to much and a lot more than than their "classic " fit used to be.
I used to swear by their chino varieties in the classic fit but no more.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried the LLB version in the "classic" fit but would never buy them again:> the legs taper from the knee to the cuff is just to much and a lot more than than their "classic " fit used to be.
I used to swear by their chino varieties in the classic fit but no more.
I don’t mind the taper

1 - 20 of 31 Posts